Trend Micro Releases Security Predictions for 2013 & Beyond
Security Threats to Business, the Digital Lifestyle, and the Cloud Highlight Report
CUPERTINO, Calif., Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Threats to Android, the Cloud and digital lifestyle devices will make fighting cybercriminals more complex in 2013 than ever before, according to a report released today by the global cloud security leader Trend Micro Incorporated.
"In 2013, people are going to have a harder time managing the security of their devices," said Raimund Genes, CTO, Trend Micro. "Different platforms, operating systems and security models will make it more difficult to protect ourselves than ever before."
The Trend report, "Security Threats to Business, the Digital Lifestyle, and the Cloud," outlines the 10 top threats facing business and consumers next year. It is now available for download.
Among its findings:
- The most serious threat during 2013 may be malicious and high-risk Android apps. Trend predicts they will reach 1 million in 2013, up from 350,000 at the end of 2012.
- While traditional PC malware may recede a bit next year, threats to devices running the Android operating system will more than replace it.
- The emergence of more digital lifestyle devices means that threats could appear in new and unexpected places, such as television sets and home appliances.
- Africa appears on its way to becoming the next safe harbor for cybercriminals on the run.
- Slow adoption of Windows 8 by business means consumers will be the leading beneficiaries from its security enhancements during the coming year.
- Cybercriminals will target legitimate cloud services and data breaches will remain a serious threat in 2013, in part because existing security tools do not protect cloud data as well as traditional storage.
- Consumers will increasingly use multiple computing platforms and devices, making securing them a difficult challenge.
- Politically motivated attacks will become more destructive during 2013.
- Conventional malware threats will evolve gradually, with few, if any, significant new attacks. Still, attacks that do occur will become more sophisticated and harder to detect.
- Efforts to address global cybercrime are gaining traction, but will take two or three more years to reach full implementation.
There is, however, hope amid this gloomy forecast.
"The good news is that the timing is perfect for security defenders to set new standards and deliver new solutions that will have a disturbing impact on the underground economy," said Genes.
If that happens, 2013 may be remembered as a decisive turning point in the war on cybercrime.
Trend Micro, CTO, Raimund Genes, Video blog
Security Intelligence Blog
"The Growing Threat of Mobile Malware"
"US 2012 Election Apps May Lead to Data Disclosure"
"More Adware and PLANKTON Variants Seen in App Stores"
"Apps As Browsers: Can You Trust Your Mobile Apps"
"Only 20% of Android Mobile Device Users Have a Security App installed"
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704; TSE: 4704), the global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the industry-leading Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ global threat intelligence data mining framework, our products and services stop threats where they emerge – from the Internet. They are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe.
Additional information about Trend Micro Incorporated and the products and services are available at Trend Micro.com. This Trend Micro news release and other announcements are available at http://newsroom.trendmicro.com/ and as part of an RSS feed at www.trendmicro.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @TrendMicro.
SOURCE Trend Micro Incorporated
More by this Source
Trend Micro Recognized as Finalist for SC Magazine Awards' Best Security Company
Feb 25, 2014, 14:22 ET
Trend Micro Delivers Comprehensive Defense with HP Against Targeted Attacks
Feb 24, 2014, 12:17 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.