WASHINGTON, Jan. 16, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band will participate in the 58th Inauguration of the President of the United States on Jan. 20, 2017. This marks the Marine Band's 55th inaugural appearance, a tradition that dates back to Thomas Jefferson in 1801.
The Marine Band provides music for the swearing-in ceremony, including "Hail to the Chief," "America, the Beautiful," and marches by the band's legendary 17th Director John Philip Sousa. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the 99-piece Marine Band assumes its position in the parade procession to lead the second division down Pennsylvania Avenue. The band will conclude this momentous day with a performance at the Salute to the Armed Services Inaugural Ball.
The Marine Band can serve as a source for the following topics:
- Marine Band Director Lieutenant Colonel Jason K. Fettig is the music adviser to the White House. He provides musical insight for events such as Inaugurations, State Dinners and Arrivals, and other White House functions. This is the fourth inaugural he has participated in, and his first as the Director.
- Marine Band members hail from 36 states and Washington, D.C., and can speak about their individual experiences both for the 2017 and previous inaugurations. Some members have participated as far back as the George H.W. Bush administration.
- Marine Band Historian Gunnery Sgt. Kira Wharton can provide anecdotes about "The President's Own" and its relationship with the presidents throughout its 218 year history.
- Master Sgt. Duane King will participate in his first inauguration as the 38th Drum Major of the Marine Band. The Drum Major leads the band in the parade. His unique uniform includes the bearskin hat, a mace with the Capitol dome on the top, and a baldric that contains all of the battle colors of the Marine Corps.
- Press are invited to attend the Marine Band's rehearsal for the swearing-in ceremony held from 9-11 a.m., Tuesday, Jan. 17, and the rehearsal for the parade at 10-11 a.m., Wednesday, Jan. 18 at the Marine Barracks Annex, 7th and K Streets, SE, Washington, D.C. 20003. To RSVP, please visit www.marineband.marines.mil and click on "Inaugural Resources" to submit your contact information or go to http://bit.ly/USMBMediaDay2017. Or contact the Marine Band Public Affairs: (202) 433-5809 or email@example.com.
About the Marine Band
The Marine Band is America's oldest continuously active professional musical organization. Founded in 1798, the band has performed for every U.S. President since John Adams. Known as "The President's Own" since the days of Thomas Jefferson, the Marine Band's mission is to provide music for the President of the United States and the Commandant of the Marine Corps. The Marine Band has been providing the inaugural soundtrack since 1801.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/united-states-marine-band-participates-in-55th-presidential-inauguration-300391366.html
SOURCE The President's Own United States Marine Band