NEW YORK, April 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- While millions of animal lovers may dream of embarking on an African safari one day, Fountain Digital Labs is bringing that vision one step closer with the launch of Virry VR, its just-released immersive virtual reality experience for families, teens and adults on PlayStation® VR. Virry VR offers an interactive adventure that takes the safari experience to a whole new level - enabling users to virtually engage with real African animals up close and in their natural habitat.
Virry's mission and latest product introduction have won the backing of leaders in virtual technology, including Founding Director of The Virtual Human Interaction Lab at Stanford University, Jeremy Bailenson. "I have seen thousands of spherical videos and the footage from Virry VR is the most stunning nature scenes I have ever seen in any medium," said Bailenson. "Seeing a big rhino in its natural home from the perspective of a mud puddle inches away, or having a lion literally lick my face to test if I am edible, were among the coolest things I have done in VR to date. I predict this project will be a huge success in motivating people to learn more about nature and ecosystems."
Filmed in stunning 4K VR at the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy in Kenya, using strategically placed high-definition cameras, Virry VR creates a safari-like experience that is as close to real as you can get without physically being in Africa. The unique combination of a cinematic approach and interactivity, with the user controlling the narrative, puts Virry VR at the forefront of revolutionizing virtual reality gameplay.
From feeding lions to sharing mud baths with rhinos, Virry VR engages users with extraordinary wildlife interactions through some of the most breathtaking real life videos to date. For those not quite ready to interact with wild beasts, a trip down an African river provides a relaxing respite. Players also learn about endangered animals and some of the most pressing conservation issues, developing an empathetic attitude towards nature and the importance of its preservation.
Following the successful launch of the Virry app in the UK and the US, which received numerous awards, including BAFTA and Webby awards, the newly launched Virry VR for PlayStation creates an even more life-like experience and furthers the Virry mission of exploration, conservation, and empathy. The initial release of Virry VR for PlayStation includes 35 minutes of playful and interactive experiences with wildlife.
Virry VR users are able to enjoy a one-of-a-kind entertainment and educational opportunity as they engage a variety of rare and endangered animals in their natural habitats – African Elephants, Black and White Rhinos, Leopards, Grevy's Zebras, Monkeys, Hyenas and Cheetahs – while learning interesting facts, answering questions, and interacting with the animals through the virtual experience. For those who don't have PS4, Virry's original award-winning app for iOS mobile devices is also a highly engaging option.
Both Virry VR and the Virry app provide a range of benefits to players, including stress relief, conservation education, empathy training, and fun!
"Virry immerses players in the lives of real animals, encouraging discovery, empathy, and problem solving, while helping them to better understand nature, conservation, and the world around them," explains Virry and Fountain Digital Lab CEO, Svetlana Dragayeva.
The Virry app and Virry VR are both rated "E" by the ESRB.
Virry VR for PlayStation (Ages 12+) Features:
- Live-Action Interactive Experiences – Player actions can tempt a lion with meat, feed an elephant, lure a zebra, or share a mud bath with a rhino.
- Immersive Relaxation Experiences – Revel and relax in the soothing sights and sounds of a beautiful African river.
- Live-Streaming Experiences – A subscription to the live cameras with a donation to the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy allows players to make a real difference while taking a live look into the African Savannah.
Virry App for iOS Mobile Devices (Ages 4+) Features:
- Live-streaming high-definition videos from the Durrell Wildlife Park in England, Lewa Wildlife Conservancy in Kenya and Al Ain Zoo in UAE.
- Virtual Reality / 360º videos through the new Parents Club.
- "Best Moments" videos from the previous day.
- Educational videos of animals in their natural habitats with fun facts.
- Personal profile in the Animal Friends Club to earn points by observing animals and taking pictures.
- Digital diary to take pictures and notes of what you see each day.
The Virry app is now available for phones and tablets on iTunes. Virry VR is available exclusively at the PlayStation Store in the "Experience" section. New releases will include even more animals and immersive experiences!
- Virry VR: $9.99, Live Camera Subscription: $1.50/mo. ($2.50/mo. to donate $1 to the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy)
- Virry iOS App: $1.99/mo.; $9.99/6 mos.; $19.99/yr.
About Fountain Digital Labs
Fountain Digital Labs is a London-based technology company that develops cutting-edge educational products for the whole family.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/virry-vr-and-playstation-present-an-extraordinary-virtual-reality-experience--bringing-rare-animals-from-the-african-savannah-up-close-and-personal-300434185.html