NEW YORK, Aug. 15, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Weight Watchers International, Inc. (NYSE: WTW) announced year two of its collaboration with the American Cancer Society through Project L.I.F.T. – Live Inspired. Fight Together. Research has shown breast cancer survivors who were treated with chemotherapy and have a family risk of breast cancer are twice as likely to gain more than 11 pounds within five years of treatment compared with women who are cancer-free.[i] Project L.I.F.T. aims to inspire and guide cancer survivors struggling with this unexpected weight gain post-treatment through free resources, community events and tailored workshops. This year, Project L.I.F.T. will expand through new program elements that not only help survivors as they work to reclaim their well-being, but also engage their caregivers and extended communities.
"When Project L.I.F.T. launched last August, Weight Watchers members, staff, friends and family rallied together to help survivors and provide support to those impacted by breast cancer," said Stacey Mowbray, President of Americas at Weight Watchers International, Inc. "We raised more than $360,000, engaged thousands of people along the way, and witnessed the impact of these efforts and contributions on people's lives. We look forward to seeing Project L.I.F.T. and our relationship with the American Cancer Society have an even greater impact this year."
In 2017, Weight Watchers is working with the American Cancer Society to expand Project L.I.F.T. through the following initiatives:
- upL.I.F.T. Series at American Cancer Society Hope Lodge® Communities: In September, Weight Watchers and the American Cancer Society will host upL.I.F.T., a specially designed workshop series intended to bring survivors, those undergoing treatment, and their caregivers a sense of peace and relaxation through gentle, guided movements and meditation. This series will take place in New York City and Atlanta at American Cancer Society Hope Lodge communities – home-like lodging offered at no cost to patients and caregivers who must travel away from home for treatment.
- Real Men Wear Pink: The American Cancer Society launched the Real Men Wear Pink campaign in 2016 to unite men in the fight against breast cancer. In support of this campaign and Project L.I.F.T., Weight Watchers has enlisted a group of Real Men Wear Pink ambassadors across the nation to help raise funds to help save lives from breast cancer. Weight Watchers also developed Real Men L.I.F.T. limited-edition performance T-shirts, which will be available in the Weight Watchers online shop this September through November. All profits from the sale of these T-shirts will go to the American Cancer Society.
Additionally, the September/October issue of Weight Watchers magazine, on stands today, features three Weight Watchers members who battled and won their fight with breast cancer in the article, "Sharing the Health." The story highlights the impact of community support and the importance of prioritizing wellness – how the actions you take tied to your health and well-being can influence, and be influenced, by those closest to you.
"I joined Weight Watchers in 2014 to lose the baby weight, I never thought that my Weight Watchers family would also be such a strong support system for me during my battle with breast cancer two years later," said Nicole Ferguson, Weight Watchers member and breast cancer survivor featured in the September/October Weight Watchers magazine issue. "Breast cancer took a year of my life. I'm taking it back now. I'm ready to take on the world."
Along with the new program elements, Project L.I.F.T. will offer a variety of ways to show support, learn more and get involved, such as:
- Limited Edition Products: This September, Weight Watchers will reveal an expanded line of Project L.I.F.T. limited edition products, available via the Weight Watchers online shop and in Weight Watchers meeting rooms, with all profits from the sale of the products going to the American Cancer Society. These products include:
- 2017 Project L.I.F.T. Performance T-Shirts: Walk with Weight Watchers with the 2017 Making Strides Against Breast Cancer® "Live Inspired. Fight Together." T-shirt and the "Real Men L.I.F.T." T-shirt. Both T-shirts are available online only.
- "Live Inspired. Fight Together." Rose Gold Tea Tumbler and Tea Collection, developed in partnership with Maria Uspenski, The Tea Spot® founder, cancer survivor and author of "Cancer Hates Tea."
- "Live Inspired. Fight Together." Everyday Bag, designed with compartments to fit your shoes and everything in between, such as gym clothes, books and snacks.
- "Live Inspired. Fight Together." Tote, a multipurpose bag that displays your support for Project L.I.F.T.
- Free Online Content: The Project L.I.F.T. content hub, created in collaboration with the American Cancer Society, is an online destination featuring practical tools and advice from researchers, nutritionists, physicians and specialists to help anyone impacted by cancer on their journey to weight loss and overall health.
- Nationwide Presence at American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Events: Weight Watchers members, staff, family and friends can join the Weight Watchers teams at Making Strides Against Breast Cancer events across the country by visiting MakingStridesWalk.org/WeightWatchers. As a two-year American Cancer Society Partners Against Cancer member, Weight Watchers will also sponsor photo tents at Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walks in New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Chicago and Atlanta.
"We are so inspired by this campaign and the energy and enthusiasm of the Weight Watchers community," said Kris Kim, Executive Vice President, American Cancer Society, Northeast Region. "As we embark on our second year working with Weight Watchers through Project L.I.F.T., we will shine a new light of hope for survivors and those impacted by the disease."
Weight Watchers launched Project L.I.F.T. in August 2016 to help survivors understand why they might have gained weight and how losing a modest amount of weight can provide many health benefits.[ii] [iii] During its inaugural year, Project L.I.F.T. mobilized the Weight Watchers community to unite and supported survivors through free content, workshops and a variety of fundraising efforts. Resulting from these efforts, Weight Watchers raised more than $360,000 between August and October 2016, ranking six out of 45 in monies raised, among American Cancer Society Partners Against Cancer members.
For more information on Project L.I.F.T. and how to get involved, please visit www.weightwatchers.com/us/projectlift
About Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Weight Watchers International, Inc. is one of the most recognized and trusted brand names among weight-conscious consumers. Weight Watchers provides commercial weight management services through a global network of Company-owned and franchise operations and offers innovative, digital weight management products through its websites, mobile sites and apps. These services and products are built on the Company's weight management program, which helps millions of people around the world lose weight through sensible and sustainable food plans, activity, behavior modification and group support. Weight Watchers has an unparalleled network of service providers to assist members on their journey and also offers a wide range of products, publications and programs for those interested in weight loss and healthier living.
[i] Gross, A., May, B., Axilbund, J., Armstrong, D., Roden, R., & Visvanathan, K. (2015). Weight Change in Breast Cancer Survivors Compared to Cancer-Free Women: A Prospective Study in Women at Familial Risk of Breast Cancer. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 24(8), 1262-1269. doi:10.1158/1055-9965.epi-15-0212.
[ii] Blackburn G. Effect of degree of weight loss on health benefits. Obesity 1995;3(2):211S.
[iii] Vidal J. Updated review on the benefits of weight loss. Int J Obes 2002;26(S4):S25-S28. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijo.080221510.1038/sj.ijo.0802215.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/weight-watchers-and-the-american-cancer-society-team-up-to-showcase-the-power-of-community-through-project-lift-300503831.html
SOURCE Weight Watchers International, Inc.