BATTLE CREEK, Mich., June 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- This year, Special K® launched the "Nourish Your Next" project to help recognize and celebrate get-after-it, bring-it-on, ready-for-what's-next women, and nourish what they have their sights set on next.
The celebration kicked-off in March, when Special K helped photographer Kate T. Parker show the world that strong is indeed the new pretty. Now, Special K is announcing the next wave of "Nourish Your Next" project recipients, an amazing group of women who are rocking it – from making a mark on the fight against hunger, to changing the face of technology, to redefining what girls can be when they grow up.
In addition to receiving a $10,000 donation to help nourish their respective "nexts," Special K and Parker recognized each woman with a special photo shoot designed to capture their multifaceted strength. Parker's images can be viewed on Special K's Facebook page.
"After my experience as the first 'Nourish Your Next' recipient, I'm so honored that I'm able to help Special K introduce and celebrate these three amazing women," said Parker. "Maria, Kimberly and Erin are rock stars in their own right, and I couldn't be any more excited to continue to spread awareness of the great work they're doing within their organizations and communities."
Special K "Nourish Your Next" Recipients:
- Maria Rose Belding: At just 20 years old, Maria Rose Belding is the co-founder and executive director of the MEANS Database, an interactive site that's helping reduce food waste and feed the hungry by connecting thousands of food pantries, soup kitchens, and other nonprofit groups with donors giving away excess food. The database is now in use in 44 states and counting. Belding was named the 2015 Clinton Hunger Leadership Award winner and is the author of more than a dozen nationally published articles on hunger policy. Her first major piece was published when she was 15. Special K will be providing support to help Belding bring MEANS to more states, furthering her mission to reduce food waste.
- Kimberly Bryant: After working in the biotech and pharma industries for more than 20 years, Kimberly Bryant founded Black Girls CODE in 2011 to change the face of technology by introducing girls from underrepresented communities to coding through a series of workshops, hackathons and summer camps. The nonprofit organization brings together girls 7-17 for after-school and weekend coding workshops, to learn how to build websites, create mobile apps and build robotics. As the name implies, Black Girls CODE is aimed at young women of color, but everyone is welcomed. Special K will be providing support to help Bryant increase the footprint of Black Girls CODE and its workshops.
- Erin Regan: Parker's personal nominee, Erin Regan is a firefighter and paramedic in Los Angeles County – one of 38 uniformed women in the department of nearly 4,000. As such, she has helped start and lead both the Los Angeles County Fire Department's Girl's Fire Camp and Women's Fire Prep Academy. She is also a former college (Wake Forest) and professional (WUSA Washington Freedom) soccer player, and current hockey player, traveling the world for tournaments. Special K will be providing support to help Regan continue to inspire and prepare women and girls with an interest in firefighting through Los Angeles County Fire Department programming.
Kellogg's is also helping to feed every woman's strength with Special K Nourish™ cereal, a line of delicious, wholesome cereals that help them tackle and embrace everything that comes their way. Offered in two unique and delicious flavor combinations – Apple Raspberry Almond and Coconut Cranberry Almond – Special K Nourish is made with ingredients you can see, like multi-grain flakes with quinoa, wholesome granola, delicious fruit and sliced almonds that provide positive nutrition. Both varieties are available at retailers nationwide for a suggested retail price of $4.49.
Show us how you're rocking it and share #whatsnext with @SpecialKUS. To learn more about what's next from Special K, visit SpecialK.com.
- Click to Tweet: .@SpecialKUS nourishes #whatsnext for three amazing, boundary-breaking women – @booregan, @MissMariaRose & @6Gems
- Click to Tweet: .@MissMariaRose, @6Gems & @booregan are rocking it as the latest @SpecialKUS "Nourish Your Next" recipients! #whatsnext
About Kellogg Company
At Kellogg Company (NYSE: K), we strive to make foods people love. This includes our beloved brands – Kellogg's®, Keebler®, Special K®, Pringles®, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes®, Pop-Tarts®, Kellogg's Corn Flakes®, Rice Krispies®, Cheez-It®, Eggo®, Mini-Wheats® and more – that nourish families so they can flourish and thrive. With 2015 sales of $13.5 billion and more than 1,600 foods, Kellogg is the world's leading cereal company; second largest producer of cookies, crackers and savory snacks; and a leading North American frozen foods company. Through our Breakfasts for Better DaysTM global hunger initiative, we've provided more than 1.4 billion servings of cereal and snacks to children and families in need around the world. To learn more, visit www.kelloggcompany.com or follow us on Twitter @KelloggCompany, YouTube and on Social K.
About Kate T. Parker
Kate T. Parker is a commercial and fine art photographer based in Atlanta, Georgia, whose personal work has been featured in galleries across the globe. Kate's goal with her work is to expose, explore and empower through impactful photography. Parker also speaks on the topics of photography and women's issues and has personal projects that focus on family as well.
Parker is the mother to two young daughters, who were the inspiration behind her acclaimed "Strong is the New Pretty" series. "Strong is the New Pretty" has been featured in numerous media, including The Today Show, The Washington Post, Huffington Post, Elle, Self, Cosmopolitan and The Daily Mail. The work is soon to be a book with Workman Publishing, coming spring 2017.
Among her work's awards and accolades: Critical Mass Top 50, Featured artist, Mason Murer Gallery, PDN Photo Annual Select Winner, Rangefinder Lifestyle Photography Winner, Top 10 Family Photographer in the World, 2015, One to Watch Atlanta Celebrates Photography, 2015, Passion for Freedom UK Show, 2015, Happiest Instagram Feeds, 2015, 100 Photographers to Watch.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kelloggs-special-k-celebrates-the-latest-nourish-your-next-project-recipients-300282181.html
SOURCE Kellogg Company