PHILADELPHIA, Sept. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Clean Air Council's 11th Annual Greenfest Philly presented by Toyota Hybrids returns to Headhouse Square (2nd and South Streets) on Sunday, September 11, 2016 from 10:00am to 4:00pm. The tri-state region's largest environmental festival and tastier than ever - with new cooking demonstrations with Miss Rachel's Pantry, P'unk Burger and Revolution Taco, plus organic food vendors, free coffee from Joe Coffee, outdoor beer garden and edible bugs. Festivities will also include live music, group bike rides, free adult and kids' yoga, hybrid vehicle test drives, handmade and green shopping, MOM's Organic Market Kids' Corner and a twenty-five foot rock wall. Admission is free. For more information, visit the website, call 215-567-4004, and follow @greenfestphilly on Twitter.
"Greenfest is an important festival because we celebrate all things happening in our city to promote sustainability and we reaffirm our commitment to a positive future," said Joseph Otis Minott, Esq., Executive Director. "It gives me an optimistic view to see these wonderful ideals in thousands of attendees, and I love to see the passion that Philadelphians have for our environment. Philadelphia has a lot to be proud of."
"Toyota and the Tri-State Toyota Dealers are very proud to be the first-ever Automotive Presenting Sponsor for the 11th annual Greenfest Philly," said President of the Tri-State Toyota Dealers Association Paul Muller. "With Toyota's ongoing commitment to the development of vehicles that help reduce carbon emissions in addition to being at the forefront of alternative fuel leadership, we are thrilled to once again support the Clean Air Council in another one of their unique events that extends awareness to living sustainably."
"Toyota is committed to helping play a role in delivering cleaner air and environmental sustainability to our customers. With a portfolio of seven Toyota hybrid models (soon to be eight), we are the leader in hybrid vehicles and have selection of hybrid sedans and SUV models to fit our customers' diversified needs – including the newest edition to our hybrid line-up, the Prius Prime, which will be onsite at this year's Toyota Hybrid display and Ride-and-Drive experience at the Greenfest celebration at the iconic Shambles at Headhouse," added Muller. We are excited and proud to bring, the first-ever, Prius Prime to the city of Philadelphia and provide the opportunity for one to take a test drive of the most technologically advanced and best-equipped Prius in the model's history with a manufacturer-estimated 120 or above MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) and expected to be the highest MPGe rating of any Plug-in Hybrid," said Muller.
Now in its eleventh year, this popular event will provide a unique opportunity for 10,000-15,000 attendees to learn how to live life a little greener and healthier. Festivities will include live music from popular local bands, MOM's Organic Market kid's corner with eco-friendly crafts and music, green beauty tips and makeovers, organic food and drinks, a beer garden, handmade goods, hands on environmental education, ways to take action for clean air, and much more. Alongside that fun, 150+ sponsors, local businesses, supporters and vendors will help transform Headhouse Square into a festive, fun and educational outdoor marketplace.
* Enjoy a tasty surprise as you sample edible bugs from Bug Yum including crickets on crackers and chocolate brownies made with flour made from ground bugs.
* Enjoy a rest and recharge station with refurbished chairs and furniture, free iced coffee from Joe Coffee and solar powered chargers.
*Make an upcycled succulent arrangement to display in your home with Beaucycled or seed bombs to plant in your garden with Green Philly.
*Arrive at Greenfest Philly emissions free with Go Philly Go and Kiddical Mass' organized bike ride from Fitler Square.
* Outdoor yoga with Three Queens Yoga led by Adriana Akintobi from 10:00am to 11:00am at 2nd and South streets stage.
* Shop for eco-friendly fashion, beauty, and home goods – including Neal's Organic Yard Remedies body products and Philadelphia Independents locally crafted one-of-a-kind gifts.
* Purchase upcycled jewelry handmade art and crafts from eco-artisans such as Beaucycled and Modern Hex.
*Toyota Hybrids' on-site showroom will feature their full line of hybrid vehicles. Festival goers will have the opportunity to test drive vehicles like the all-new 2017 Prius Prime.
* Leave your 'wheels' with the complimentary bike valet courtesy of Philadelphia Insurance Companies.
* Free 30 minute rides and unlimited bike parking for those taking Indego bike share to the Festival.
* Clean out your closets and bring your clothing, accessories, toys, books and more to the Philly Swap at Greenfest Philly. Bring gently used clothing, toys and books for free entry into the swap area, or make a $5 donation (includes a free Philly Swap bag). Upon entry in the swap, you are free to roam and take what you'd like. Philly AIDS Thrift is donating the starting items for the swap, and will also be on hand with items from their retail space.
For the first time, Greenfest will launch a new cooking series with top restaurants and chefs from around the city demonstrating their signature vegan and vegetarian dishes - and giving cooking tips using ingredients from the Headhouse Farmers' Market. The line-up for this year will be:
* Noon - Rachel Klein of Miss Rachel's Pantry - savory cashew-ricotta dumpling with caramelized onion and grilled apples in thyme butter sauce.
* 1:00pm - Marlo Dilks of P'unk Burger and SliCE (whose organic location opens in Fishtown in September) - pulled Portobello BBQ Sandwich
* 2:00pm - Carolyn Nguyen of Revolution Taco, Say Cheese Philly, Street Food Philly, Taco Mondo, 33rd Street Hospitality - Curried Cauliflower Tacos
Enjoy sustainably brewed beer from Pennsylvania's Weyerbacher brewery.
Sample delicious, healthy, local and organic food from popular food trucks and local eateries.
*Nomad Pizza uses fresh, local, organic ingredients. Enjoy pizza fresh from their from their traveling wood-fired brick oven.
* Weckerley's Ice Cream specializing in local seasonal flavors and transcendent ice cream sandwiches.
* Kung Fu Hoagies is an all vegetarian and vegan friendly food cart serving South and West Philadelphia. Hoagies, noodles and sides creatively inspired by traditional vegetarian Vietnamese food, served by friendly local Kung Fu addicts.
* Mompops makes vegan, allergen friendly ice-pops that are gluten free, nut free, dairy free and low calorie.
* Soy Cafe is hand crafted vegan baked goods, including cupcakes, donuts, cookies and whoopie pies.
* Follow Your Heart - Vegan cheese and vegenaise.
* Twisted Tail - Headhouse restaurant to serve local and seasonal food (and drinks) in extended outdoor cafe space
IN MOM'S Organic Market Kids' Corner
* Healthy Snacks from MOM's Organic Market – Kids and parents are welcome to stop by MOM's Organic Market's booth for free samples and healthy snacks.
* Rock Climb from 10:00am to 4:00pm - Kids and adults can catch climbing fever and try their hand at scaling a 25 foot rock wall.
*Kids' yoga throughout the day with Yoga Friends.
* Climate City - CUSP, a network of local organizations who engage the public on climate change issues, will create a special area called Climate City, where visitors can learn about the local impacts of climate change and what they can do about them. The area will feature hands-on activities and resources for visitors young and old to learn how to prepare for a hotter, wetter Philadelphia.
* New Leash on Life's "Puppy Kissing Booth" with local adoptable dogs.
* Pinwheel making activity for kids and information for parents about protecting the environment for future generations from Mom's Clean Air Force.
* Mobile paint party to inspire the artist that lives in all of us. Kids can paint their own masterpiece with A Taste of Artistry.
Everyone knows the most sustainable music is grown right in your own backyard. Hitting the GreenFest Philly stage on Sunday, September 13, 2015 11:00am to 4:00pm is Philly's best emerging bands.
Little Strike - 11:00 AM
"Little Strike is the alias of Middle Eastern-born musician and multimedia artist Tamar Dart, based in Philadelphia. The project feels like a collage of organic and inorganic sounds, with acoustic guitars that conjure West African finger styles, melted together with murky keyboards, atop a bed of grimy beats. The vocals have a quality that manages to hunt as well as tame the listener, forcing them to go on a nostalgic walkabout. Will a friendship form?
– Lifin' Magazine
The Mysteries - 12:05 PM
"A Philly-based rock-and-roll group with a hauntingly groovy brand of 70s-era psych, opened the night with a seductive and commandeering performance by frontman Rodney Jacobs. With his flair for blues guitar the band's timeless sound draws comparisons from The Doors — even Jacobs' eye shadow may harken back to Jim Morrison's signature rock star sex appeal — but some of the deeper grooves hit harder on the acid rock spectrum. The organ often takes audible control in the band's eight-track release, with the guitar and bass adding texture while the lyrically adept Rogers croons and howls.
Their self-titled debut was released last October."
Ceramic Animal - 1:10 PM
"Stylish Bucks County four-piece Ceramic Animal dabbles in psychedelic rock of the classic variety. The keyboard-and-guitar interplay you'll hear in this week's Key Studio Session hits an undeniable Doors-esque sweet spot; the guitar solos (particularly on "Codename Righteous") are totally Pink Floyd. However, as much as the band informs its sound by history, it works with one foot in the now, and is getting ready to release its self-titled debut album this fall."
-John Vettese, The Key
Ill Fated Natives - 2:30 PM
The ill Fated Natives create a blend of gritty blues, hard rock and smooth jazz to captivate the mind and stimulate the soul.
Forged in the heart of Philadelphia, SAVAGES is an EP inspired by the percussive rhythms of the earth, the redeeming nature of water, the unwavering intensity of fire and the striking power of wind. Recorded just 8 months after their first ever performance as a trio in the spring of 2013, this 7 song EP calls upon the energies of tribal and indigenous cultures all across the globe and the ghosts of fallen heroes and leaders; all the while singing tales of societal freedom and the paradigm of inner city love.
Clean Air Council's Greenfest Philly is presented by Toyota Hybrids, with support from MOM's Organic Market, Philadelphia Insurance Companies (PHLY), Aversa PR & Events, South Street Headhouse District, ConsolidatedSolar.net, AVRS and Yelp.
Admission to Greenfest Philly is free. Attendees must be 21 and older to drink. For more information visit the website, call call 215-567-4004 (ext. 102) or follow @greenfestphilly on Twitter.
ABOUT GREENFEST PHILLY
Since its launch in 2006, Greenfest Philly has been a model for producing sustainable events. The festival demonstrates its commitment to reducing environmental impact by sourcing power from two large solar powered generators, recycling and composting over 80% of waste, and providing attendees with water bottle refill stations and a complimentary bike valet. All festival exhibitors are evaluated by Clean Air Council to ensure they are providing services, information, or goods that are sustainable.
ABOUT CLEAN AIR COUNCIL
Greenfest Philly is organized by Clean Air Council, a member-supported, non-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting everyone's right to breathe clean air. For more information, visit www.greenfestphilly.org or www.cleanair.org.
Aversa PR & Events LLC
Clean Air Council
215-567-4004, ext. 102
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/11th-annual-greenfest-philly-returns-with-100-exhibitors-food-beer-garden-family-fun-shopping-eco-adventures-and-more-300325236.html
SOURCE Clean Air Council