2011 Kia Optima Earns Five-Star Crash Safety Rating From U.S. Government
Highest Possible Ratings for All-New Kia Midsize Sedan in Frontal, Side and Rollover Impact Crash Tests
- All-new Optima is first Korean-built vehicle to achieve the highest rating under new, more stringent government guidelines by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- High level of standard safety features contribute to Optima's overall performance and high scores in all four categories
IRVINE, Calif., March 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The all-new 2011 Kia Optima midsize sedan has achieved an overall five-star crash safety rating – the highest possible score – after attaining five stars in each of the overall ratings categories in the latest crash tests conducted by the U.S. Department of Transportation's NHTSA. Already a recipient of a "Top Safety Pick" award by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), Optima offers consumers exceptional levels of standard safety equipment and technologies.
"As the most recent addition to Kia's lineup, the 2011 Optima incorporates some of Kia's most advanced safety technologies with head-turning style, performance and comfort to provide consumers with high value and peace-of-mind," said Byung Mo Ahn, group president and CEO of Kia Motors America (KMA) and Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia (KMMG). "As the first Korean-built vehicle to be awarded a five-star crash safety rating under NHTSA's new, stricter guidelines, Optima creates a new benchmark in the segment and underscores Kia's commitment to offering consumers the highest levels of quality and safety in all of our vehicles."
In all, 24 passenger cars, 20 sport utility vehicles, two vans, and nine 2011 model year pickups were rated under the new system that not only includes tougher crash tests, but, for the first time, provides consumers with a single overall safety score per vehicle. The new testing program also provides consumers with information about new advanced crash avoidance technologies, such as lane departure and forward collision warning systems.
About the 2011 Kia Optima
Like the rest of Kia line-up, the 2011 Optima comes equipped with a high level of standard safety features, including: six airbags(1) (dual advanced front and front-seat mounted side as well as full-length side curtain), front active headrests, side-impact door beams, height-adjustable front seatbelts with pre-tensioners, three-point seatbelts for all seating positions, Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Four-wheel antilock brakes (ABS), ESC, a Traction Control System (TCS), a Brake Assist System (BAS) and Hill Assist Control (HAC) also are standard.
Available in three trims, LX, EX and SX, the 2011 Optima offers a wide array of convenience and luxury as well as impressive technology features like an AM/FM/CD/MP3/Sat audio system with SIRIUS® Satellite Radio capabilities and three months complimentary service(2), auxiliary and USB audio input jacks and standard Bluetooth®(3) wireless technology connectivity with steering wheel-mounted voice activation controls to enable hands-free operation for compatible mobile phones. Available with three all-new and fuel-efficient engines, a 2.4-liter GDI four-cylinder, a 2.0-liter GDI turbo or a 2.4-liter hybrid (available later this year), pricing for the stylish and performance-oriented midsize sedan begins at $18,995(4).
2011 Kia Motors America Product Line
Kia's model year 2011 vehicle line includes the Sorento CUV, Sportage compact CUV, Optima midsize sedan, Soul urban passenger vehicle, Forte compact sedan, Forte 5-door compact hatchback, Forte Koup two-door coupe, Rio sub-compact sedan, Rio5 sub-compact hatchback and Sedona minivan.
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors America (KMA) is the marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea. KMA offers a complete line of vehicles through more than 730 dealers throughout the United States and serves as the "Official Automotive Partner of the NBA." In 2010, KMA recorded its best-ever U.S. sales and 16th consecutive year of increased U.S. market share. Kia is poised to continue its momentum and will continue to build the brand through design innovation, quality, value, safety features and new technologies.
About NHTSA and NCAP
Government star ratings are part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) (www.safercar.gov). Vehicle Tested with Standard Side Airbags (SABs).
(1) For maximum protection, always wear your seat belt.
(2) SIRIUS, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries. SIRIUS Radio requires a subscription, sold separately after 3-month trial subscription included with vehicle purchase. Prices and programming are provided by SIRIUS and are subject to change. Subscriptions governed by SIRIUS Terms & Conditions available at sirius.com. SIRIUS Radio U.S. service available only to those at least 18 years of age in the 48 contiguous United States, D.C. and Puerto Rico (with coverage limitations).
(3) The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Kia is under license. Other trademarks and tradenames are those of their respective owners.
(4) Starting price is manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for lowest trim level. MSRPs exclude $695 destination and handling fee, title, taxes, license, options and dealer charges. Actual prices set by dealer and may vary.
SOURCE Kia Motors America
More by this Source
Kia Motors America Releases 2014 "Red Zone" Special Edition Soul
Dec 06, 2013, 06:00 ET
Kia Motors America presenta la edicion especial "Red Zone" del Soul 2014
Dec 06, 2013, 06:00 ET
Boston Consulting Group Names Kia Motors America To List Of Most Recommended Brands
Dec 05, 2013, 06:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.