2011 Mobile Year-in-Review
Original Animated Video Reveals Staggering Growth in Consumer Mobile Usage
Original Animated Video Reveals Staggering Growth in Consumer Mobile Usage/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Mobile Future today released an original animated video that takes a rapid-fire tour of key consumer and technology mobile trends in an eventful 2011. The video and accompanying report highlight the staggering growth in consumer mobile usage across a dizzying array of applications and social media platforms.
WASHINGTON, Dec. 15, 2011 "Consumer-driven innovation and heated competition continued to define every aspect of the mobile marketplace in 2011," said Mobile Future Chairman Jonathan Spalter. "From mobile social networking to new devices, broader coverage and unprecedented choice, the wireless sector is a true model of success in today's innovation economy. While we can't predict with precision what's next, one thing is clear after a year of profound progress: The mobile future has arrived."
Key 2011 highlights include:
- Whopping increase in app creation and downloads:
- ONE BILLION apps downloaded worldwide each month
- $3 BILLION paid by Apple alone to independent apps developers
- Surge in use of social media mobile platforms
- 166 PERCENT increase in Facebook Mobile users in the first half of 2011 alone
- 103 MILLION wireless tweets were posted each day
- ONE BILLION Foursquare check-ins
- 26 PHOTOS were made "hipstery" on Instagram every second
- Ongoing explosion in data traffic
- EIGHT TRILLION texts were sent - up 1.1 trillion from last year
- 1800 PERCENT increase in traffic on U.S. networks predicted in just four years
- Unprecedented competition and choice
- MORE SMARTPHONES purchased than PCs in the United States
- MORE WIRELESS SUBSCRIPTIONS than people
- TWO BILLION networked mobile devices by 2015
- 4G SERVICES being rolled out by at least six carriers in 2011 alone
- Massive potential for job creation and economic growth:
- 2.4 MILLION American jobs supported by wireless
- $27.5 BILLION investment in U.S. mobile networks by wireless carriers
- 500,000 JOBS & $400 BILLION to U.S. GDP with additional 500 MHz of additional spectrum
The 2011 Mobile Year-in-Review animation and the report can be viewed here.
Mobile Future is a broad-based coalition of businesses, non-profit organizations and individuals interested in and dedicated to advocating for an environment in which innovations in wireless technology and services are enabled and encouraged. Our mission is to educate the public and key decision makers on innovations in the wireless industry that have transformed the way Americans work and play and to advocate continued investment in wireless technologies. www.mobilefuture.org
SOURCE Mobile Future
More by this Source
Mobile Future Launches "The Mobileys"
Sep 19, 2013, 13:21 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.