2014 Most Athletic Pests Arrow Exterminators Recognizes Five Pests for Their Athletic Prowess in Nature
ATLANTA, Jan. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- World-class athletes competing on behalf of their countries are the epitome of must-see TV to the American public. As our USA athletes prepare to vie for gold this winter, Arrow Exterminators has prepared a list of the top five Most Athletic Pests to honor insects that possess Olympic-worthy traits designed by nature. To view the infographic: http://www.arrowexterminators.com/media/136135/Arrow%20Exterminators%20Athletic%20Pests.jpg
1. Strongest Bug: Rhinoceros beetles can lift objects 850 times their own weight. To put this in perspective, if a human had the strength of the rhinoceros beetle, he or she would be able to lift nine elephants. One of the uses for its extreme strength is to dig itself into leaf litter and soil to escape danger. To keep up its strength, rhinoceros beetles eat other adult beetles, fruit, nectar and sap.
2. Fastest Bug: Cockroaches are the fastest land-moving insects. They are capable of moving 50 body lengths each second. If humans had this potential, they could run a 100-yard dash in 1 second, reaching a speed of 200 miles per hour. While in motion, cockroaches use a tripod gait, meaning at any one time, they have three legs on the ground. For the raw strength required to move this quickly, cockroaches get their nutrients from bacteria that live in their bodies.
3. Best Swimmer: Whirligig beetles have a unique modification of the eye, making it possible to see both in the air above and in the water below at the same time. Eighty-four percent of the energy that whirligig beetles devote to swimming is transformed into thrust. This is the highest ever measured for a thrust apparatus in the animal kingdom. The mid legs and hind legs of the whirligig beetle contain numerous microscopic hairs that increase surface area while swimming, resulting in greater thrust and power.
4. Best Gymnast: The golden wheel spider, also known as the wheel spider, is a huntsman spider found in the Southern Africa Namib Desert. It escapes parasitic wasps by flipping on its side and using all eight legs to cart wheel past predators down sand dunes at about 44 turns per second.
5. Best Fighter: The legs of a praying mantis are equipped with spikes for snaring prey and pinning it in place. They capture their prey with reflexes so quick that they are difficult to see with the naked eye. Mantids can turn their heads 180 degrees to scan their surroundings with two large compound eyes and three other simple eyes. When directly threatened, many mantis species stand tall and spread their forelegs, with their wings fanning out wide, to make themselves appear larger.
The athletic ability of the bugs on this list have allowed their respective species to survive for thousands of years. One slight modification to their strength, speed, swimming, acrobatic and fighting ability could mean the end of the species as we know it. As the 2014 Winter Olympics begin, we are reminded that the Olympians of nature could be living in our homes or backyards.
Arrow protects homes from infestations with the STEPS® Total Protection System™, an industry-leading process that utilizes Integrated Pest Management. STEPS includes a full home and property evaluation to pinpoint pest control issues; identification of not only the pest, but the true cause of the problem; and treatment in the most environmentally responsible way to alleviate current issues and help prevent future recurrences. Consumers interested in protecting their homes from pests may find additional information at arrowexterminators.com. Additionally, consumers can contact Arrow for a free whole home evaluation at 888-462-7769.
About Arrow Exterminators
Family owned and operated since 1964, Atlanta-based Arrow Exterminators is the seventh largest pest and termite control company in the United States, ranked by revenue. Arrow boasts a modern fleet of more than 1200 vehicles, more than 79 service centers and revenues exceeding $135 million. With QualityPro Certification by the National Pest Management Association, the company offers innovative and environmentally responsible services to protect homes and businesses of customers in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. Visit www.arrowexterminators.com for more information.
770-992-6399 / 404-808-8499
SOURCE Arrow Exterminators