CHICAGO, Dec. 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Families and friends will gather across America in the days to come to celebrate the holiday season and to look forward to the new year of 2017. But for the 42 million people in our nation who face hunger—including 13 million children—the holidays are often a struggle.
Feeding America, the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief organization, distributes meals to more than 5 million people each week through a network of 200 food banks that provide food and groceries to 60,000 food pantries, soup kitchens and other emergency feeding sites.
Feeding America wants everyone to consider nine facts about hunger in America:
- 1 in 9 children in North Dakota face hunger. Sadly, North Dakota has the lowest incidence of child food insecurity in the United States. (Map the Meal Gap 2016)
- 1 in 8 Americans lack consistent access to adequate amounts of nutritious food. (USDA, Household Food Security in the United States 2016)
- 1 in 7 Americans live at or below the federal poverty level, $24,250 for a family of four. (U.S. Census Bureau)
- 1 in 6 children in the U.S. are identified as food insecure. (USDA)
- 1 in 5 households that receive SNAP benefits (formerly food stamps) have no other household income of any kind. (USDA)
- Feeding America will distribute the equivalent of more than 4 billion meals to low-income Americans this year.
- 3 million households in rural America struggle with hunger. (Map the Meal Gap 2016)
- Nearly 2 million people spend more than 8.4 million hours each month volunteering at a food pantry, soup kitchen or other agency served by the 200 food banks that are part of the Feeding America network.
- Every single $1 donated to Feeding America will help us provide the equivalent of 11 free meals. Every $1 donated to Feeding America helps us provide 11 free meals to people at risk of hunger during the holidays and year-round. Find out how you can help by visiting feedingamerica.org.
About Feeding America
Feeding America is the nationwide network of 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the United States. Together, we provide food to more than 46 million people through 60,000 food pantries and meal programs in communities across America. Feeding America also supports programs that improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Individuals, charities, businesses and government all have a role in ending hunger. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Educate. Together we can solve hunger. Visit www.feedingamerica.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/42-million-americans-face-hunger-this-holiday-season-300383098.html
SOURCE Feeding America