451 Research Publishes New Report on Highly Energy-Efficient Datacenters
Case Studies of 24 of the world's most energy-efficient datacenters illustrate the trends in tools, designs, deployment approaches, and services at the forefront of facility efficiency
NEW YORK, Oct. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- 451 Research has published 'Highly Energy-Efficient Datacenters in Practice,' a wide-reaching report that examines how datacenters are capitalizing on developments in design, energy management, cooling, and new deployment approaches to improve their energy efficiency. The report from 451 Research's Datacenter Technologies and Eco-Efficient IT practice includes case studies on 24 of the world's most highly energy-efficient datacenters – some large and well-known, others smaller and more obscure. The majority of datacenter profiles included in this report were Uptime Institute Green Enterprise IT Award (GEIT) winners or honorees at the Uptime Institute's annual Symposium in May 2012. 451 Research and Uptime Institute are divisions of The 451 Group.
Highlights from the report include:
- Large Internet-related companies, such as eBay, Facebook, Microsoft and Yahoo, represent a new breed of operator taking an integrated approach to achieve significant energy efficiency to cost-effectively meet growing datacenter demand.
- The proliferation of Internet and cloud computing services will continue to place increased demand and public focus on the datacenter operations of suppliers. These datacenters will continue to be engines of innovation in efficiencies.
- Datacenter eco-efficient IT has moved on from token or one-off efforts to limit energy use to a war on excess resource usage.
- Power and cooling remain the top targets for efficiency. While free cooling is proliferating, operators are being far more cautious with direct current (DC) power distribution.
- Though prefabricated modular datacenters are not inherently energy-efficient, their phased deployment can help operators avoid infrastructure overcapacity.
- The datacenter owners and operators achieving high energy efficiency demonstrate what can be done through innovation, focus, and investment. Many of the case studies serve as models for other operators to follow, and many were recognized by the Uptime Institute, a division of The 451 Group, as exemplars of datacenter efficiency and awarded Green Enterprise IT Awards at the Institute's annual Symposium in May 2012.
"Tightly integrating the various moving parts of a datacenter project, such as the parallel design of cooling and IT systems, can lead to results beyond what is possible with a piecemeal approach," said the report's lead author Rhonda Ascierto, Senior Analyst in 451 Research's Datacenter Technologies and Eco-Efficient IT practices. "In very efficient datacenters, we are also seeing an increased emphasis on collaboration between datacenter facilities and IT operations within an organization, and between organizations and their consultants and vendors."
451 Research and its sister division, Uptime Institute will host a webinar on Highly Efficient Data Centers on October 30, 2012, which will include a discussion of the report's findings and a case study from Urbacon, a 2012 Uptime Institute Green Enterprise IT (GEIT) Award Winner for Facility Design Innovation.
- Title: Highly Energy-Efficient Datacenters in Practice
- Date: October 30, 2012
- Time: 11 am ET
- Rhonda Ascierto, Senior Analyst, Data Center Technologies and Eco-Efficient Practices, 451 Research
- W. Pitt Turner IV, Executive Director Emeritus, Uptime Institute
- Antonio Mancini, Founder, Urbacon
- Registration: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/697810128
About 451 Research & Uptime Institute
451 Research, a division of The 451 Group, is focused on the business of enterprise IT innovation. The company's analysts provide critical and timely insight into the competitive dynamics of innovation in emerging technology segments. Business value is delivered via daily concise and insightful published research, periodic deeper-dive reports, data tools, market-sizing research, analyst advisory, and conferences and events. Clients of the company – at vendor, investor, service-provider and end-user organizations – rely on 451 Research's insight to support both strategic and tactical decision-making.
Uptime Institute, a division of The 451 Group, provides independent thought leadership, certification, education and professional services for the global digital infrastructure industry. It serves all industry stakeholders, including enterprise and third-party data center owners and operators, manufacturers, service providers and engineers. Through Uptime Institute Professional Services, Uptime Institute delivers due diligence assessments and Certifications of site infrastructure and site management in accordance with the Tier and Operational Sustainability Standards.
451 Research & Uptime Institute are headquartered in New York, with offices in key locations, including San Francisco, Washington DC, London, Boston, Seattle, Denver, Sao Paulo, Dubai and Singapore.
Newsmaker Group for 451 Research
This press release was issued through eReleases® Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit http://www.ereleases.com.
SOURCE Uptime Institute
More by this Source
18 Enterprises Receive Global Recognition for Data Center Design and Operations Efficiency
Feb 25, 2014, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.