5 Simple Ways To Influence Student Success
Ideas and Advice from Dairy Council of California's Healthy You, Healthy Students Webinar
SACRAMENTO, Calif., June 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The passage of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 means administrators, teachers, school foodservice professionals and others need to update and energize their school wellness policies. To help, Dairy Council of California coordinated Healthy You, Healthy Students: A New Approach to Influencing Student Success. This free school wellness webinar, held in May, featured low- and no-cost suggestions, case studies and resources used in schools across the state.
Archives of the webinar, resources and school wellness success stories are now available on the School Wellness section of Dairy Council of California's web page. Meanwhile, here are five simple ways to influence student success discussed during the webinar.
- Anyone can start a wellness program at a school. Parents, teachers, administrators and school foodservice professionals can all play instrumental roles. Community partners can help keep a wellness program vibrant. The more people who participate, the lighter the load on everyone.
- Wellness policies work from the top down and the bottom up. Check with the school district for resources to implement at the grassroots level. Elect someone from the school to participate in district-wide wellness meetings to foster communication and share ideas.
- Healthy classroom policies can be a great first step to campus-wide change. Limit the sweet treats and instead ask parents to provide fresh fruit and yogurt dips, whole-grain crackers and cheese or other healthy snacks for special occasions or during school events to help promote wellness with students and staff.
- Teach nutrition in the classroom. Programs and lesson plans from Dairy Council of California are free to California teachers and can instill values for wellness and healthy eating in children while meeting educational requirements and standards.
- Get moving! Walking clubs are an easy, no-cost way to kick-start wellness at school. Invite parents, teachers, even students to join in before or after school.
About Dairy Council of California
Dairy Council of California (www.DairyCouncilofCA.org) serves as the dairy industry's contribution to community health by creating science-based nutrition education curricula and resources that help children and families improve their eating habits and make nutrient-rich choices from all food groups. For nearly a century, Dairy Council of California has partnered with schools, health professionals and community leaders to offer California families simple steps for making balanced food choices while conveying the irreplaceable role that milk and milk products play in a balanced diet.
On the Net:
Dairy Council of California: www.DairyCouncilofCA.org
Recorded Webinar "Healthy You, Healthy Students: A New Approach to Influencing Student Success" and Resources: www.DairyCouncilofCA.org/Educators/School-Wellness/Webinar/HealthyStudents.aspx
SOURCE Dairy Council of California
More by this Source
Common Sense Solutions To Implementing Common Core State Standards
Oct 17, 2013, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.