MINNEAPOLIS, July 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2013 Uptown Art Fair is celebrating its 50th annual fair with an exciting lineup of nationally recognized artists, special performances, youth artists, a culinary arts competition and much more. Minnesota's No. 1 art fair, attended by more than 375,000 people each year, will take place August 2-4 at the intersection of Hennepin Avenue South and West Lake Street in Uptown, Minneapolis.
During the art fair, visitors can browse original art by more than 350 artists chosen by a five-member jury, including prints, drawing, glass, painting, jewelry, wood, ceramics, photography, mixed media and more.
This year's commemorative artist is Apple Valley resident Shane Anderson. His commemorative piece, entitled "Uptown Turnaround," includes images from Uptown old and new, and tells a story about how the area has evolved over the past 50 years. The commemorative print is for sale at the Uptown Information Booth or at Uptown Art Fair Merchandise tents at the fair, along with the LIMITED EDITION 50th Uptown Art Fair commemorative calendar, featuring 18 commemorative prints from years past.
The Uptown Art Fair runs Friday, Aug. 2, from 12-8 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 3, from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. and Sunday, Aug. 4, from 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Other events and activities at the art fair include:
- Tomorrow's Stars Youth Art Fair, featuring 50 promising young artists between the ages of 8 and 18, who will display, discuss and sell their artwork inside Calhoun Square.
- The Kitchen Window Culinary Arts Competition presented by Kowalski's, which teams chefs and artists together in a live, outdoor competition to create dazzling culinary art.
- A performance stage with live musical acts, performing throughout the weekend (a full list of performances is available at uptownartfair.com/performance-stage.)
- Family Imagination Station presented by Northern Clay Center, featuring a variety of free anniversary-themed projects for kids and adults alike.
- An Art Supply Drive, where guests can support the fair's community partner, Intermedia Arts, by contributing new, unopened art materials at various drop-off sites throughout the fair.
- Instagram Contest, where visitors can follow @UptownArtFair on Instagram and post a photo from the fair using the hashtag #UptownArtFair, for a chance to win this year's commemorative print or calendar.
- Interactive Art Installation, where fairgoers will be able to work alongside local artists to paint, draw, stencil, and create an original large-scale piece of artwork.
- Organics Program, featuring recycling and composting containers throughout the fair, so visitors can recycle food and beverage containers, and compost food waste and paper products.
- Metro Transit ArtPass, offering bus and light rail rides on Saturday and Sunday. Simply print out the pass at www.metrotransit.org.
- Nice Ride Minnesota Bike Valet, offering free valet bike parking to reduce automobile traffic and provide a stress-free parking experience at the fair.
About the Uptown Art Fair
Produced by the Uptown Association, the Uptown Art Fair will take place August 2-4 and will feature more than 350 professional artists, 50 youth artists, 18 performers, a culinary arts competition and a variety of food vendors. Ranked the No. 1 art fair in Minnesota by the Harris Guide, the three-day event has grown into a nationally recognized fine arts festival attracting more than 375,000 people throughout the weekend. Find more information at www.uptownartfair.com or on Facebook at Uptown Art Fair "Official" or Twitter at @UptownArtFair.
SOURCE Uptown Art Fair