6 Tips for Keeping Teens Safe on Social Media
Help your kids make safe and smart decisions about what they put on social networking sites
WASHINGTON, Sept. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Going back to school is about more than shiny shoes and trendy notebooks. It's also about kids making new friends and adding those friends on social network sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
More than 60 percent of teens in the United States have at least one social media account, according to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. And while being online is a good way to keep in touch with friends, it's important for parents to be proactive about Internet safety.
Unfortunately, there are people who can use your child's personal information to steal identities, bully them or begin an inappropriate relationship. Help protect students from online dangers by following these safety tips:
- Keep your child's profile private so that only family and people you know see photos, important dates and other information.
- Make sure they're not posting personal details, including phone numbers, home address, and the name of their school or Social Security number.
- Only allow them to publish photos and videos that don't jeopardize their safety or their integrity.
- Make sure they choose a strong password that can't be guessed, and that it gets changed every three months.
- Never allow them to accept friend requests from people they don't know.
- Keep an open dialogue with your children. Ask them to let you know if they've received private messages from a stranger, or from someone at school who is teasing, harassing or threatening them. Those could be signs of cyber-bullying or even a sexual predator.
Get additional online safety tips, and other relevant information on OnGuardOnline.gov, a great government resource for parents and teens.
More by this Source
Recomendaciones para comprar juguetes seguros
Dec 02, 2013, 08:01 ET
Tips For Buying Safe Toys
Dec 02, 2013, 08:01 ET
Tips for saving energy during the winter
Nov 18, 2013, 08:01 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.