FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich., July 18, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- While the dust has barely settled on Independence Day festivities, the store shelves are already packed with back-to-school supplies and clothes. The sales are underway online and in-store. So, while we still may be thinking sunscreen and summer fun, now is the time to think about saving money on the upcoming school year!
GreenPath Financial Wellness, a nationwide non-profit financial counseling and education organization, has put together a list of eight great ways to save on school supplies and clothes. Whether you shop online or in the stores, a little planning can help you save a lot of money.
- Start early! Doing your homework early can often help you spend less and choose from a better selection of supplies.
- Shop by looking at circulars and online sales. Plan your trip around the best deals throughout the rest of the summer until school starts.
- Take inventory of what your child has now and what can be reused during the new school year.
- See if your child's school website has a shopping list for each individual grade. That way you can identify things that they need right now and what can wait.
- Don't buy all your supplies from one store. Shop around! Certain stores will price match or have better prices.
- Talk to your children and identify needs versus wants. You can set expectations and limits on things like shoes, clothes or sports gear.
- Avoid cartoon characters. Usually, themed back-to-school supplies can cost 20-30 percent more than their generic counterparts. A great way to still give them style and personalization is to buy stickers and let them decorate their supplies.
- Consider shopping solo. You'll stay focused and avoid unnecessary purchases. Your child may want a new backpack, when last year's will do just fine!
GreenPath provides in-person credit counseling, financial education and debt management services in more than 60 locations in 16 states. The company also offers licensed services by phone and Internet throughout the United States. For more information about GreenPath, visit www.greenpath.org or call (866) 648-8122.
About GreenPath Financial Wellness
GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nationwide, non-profit financial counseling and education organization. GreenPath has been empowering people to lead financially healthy lives since 1961. Their financial experts partner with consumers to ease financial stress, manage debt, save for the future, make smart financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals. Headquartered in Farmington Hills, Michigan, GreenPath operates about 60 branch offices in 16 states. They also deliver licensed services throughout the United States over the Internet and telephone. GreenPath is a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC), and is accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA). The organization has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. For more information, visit www.greenpath.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/8-money-saving-back-to-school-shopping-tips-300300167.html
SOURCE GreenPath Financial Wellness