8th Annual HerbDay to be Celebrated Saturday, May 4, 2013
AUSTIN, Texas, April 23, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Herb lovers in more than 13 cities in 11 states and the District of Columbia are set to take part in the 8th annual HerbDay celebration on Saturday, May 4.
Scheduled events include lectures and workshops, herb walks, in-store cooking demonstrations, presentations by herbal product companies, and herbal-themed children's activities.
"Herbs enhance the value of our gardens by providing plants with incredible flavors, rich fragrances, and healthful, useful properties," said U.S. Botanic Garden Executive Director Holly H. Shimizu. "They give us opportunities to add to a garden's intrinsic beauty, texture, and charm."
HerbDay activities are held at retail stores, schools, farms, botanical gardens, garden centers, and public parks worldwide, on and during the weeks preceding and following May 4.
"Greater familiarity with herbs will increase informed use of herbal products and build public support for maintaining personal choice in the use of botanicals," said David LaLuzerne, who oversees the HerbDay celebration at the Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, Wisconsin. "Last year's HerbDay attracted more than 200 herbal enthusiasts for a day of herb classes, herb walks in the garden, and herb displays in the Commons area. It included individuals, businesses, and organizations that share a love and passion for herbs and herbal medicine."
HerbDay was conceived of in 2006 by the HerbDay Coalition, five nonprofit organizations, to raise awareness of the significance of herbs and the many ways they can be used safely and creatively for health, beauty, and culinary enjoyment. The HerbDay Coalition is comprised of the American Botanical Council, American Herbalists Guild, American Herbal Pharmacopoeia, American Herbal Products Association, and United Plant Savers.
Additional events are being planned and added to the HerbDay website, www.herbday.org. This year, scheduled events include:
- The U.S. Botanic Garden Conservatory in Washington, DC will host a celebration of herbs, including demonstrations, activities, and information tables throughout the conservatory. Additionally, the Potomac Unit of the Herb Society of America will feature an herbal beads display and demonstrations, herbal tea tastings and make-your-own herbal tea bags, as well as the opportunity to create your own herbal skin lotion. The Pennsylvania Heartland and the Philadelphia Units of the Herb Society of America will present an exhibit on elder (Sambucus spp.), the International Herb Association Herb of the Year.
- The American Botanical Council in Austin, Texas will host herb walks in 26 herb-themed gardens and herb talks in its education annex, as well as a plant and book sale, refreshments, a Maypole, and a children's planting activity.
- ArborVitae School of Traditional Herbalism in New York will host a full day of free workshops, demonstrations, and herb walks through the market and gardens. There will be a diverse range of teachers and presenters, with both adult and kid-friendly activities.
- Hidden Lake Gardens in Tipton, Michigan will host demonstrations on how to include herbs in gardens and cooking, vendors with plants and products, and activities for the young-at-heart.
- The Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, Wisconsin will host kids' herbal activities with two HerbDay talks: "Herbal Teas for Kids" and "Kids and Seeds for a Greener Future." There will also be a kids' activity tour.
For more information about HerbDay activities, resources, and sponsorship opportunities; to find teachers and experts; or to register and promote events, visit www.herbday.org. Follow HerbDay on Twitter and "like" HerbDay on Facebook to share your ideas and keep current on the latest news and announcements.
CONTACT: Sara O'Connor, 512-926-4900, Sara@HerbalGram.org
SOURCE American Botanical Council on behalf of the HerbDay Coalition
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.