97 Percent of Singles Over 50 Believe Regular Sex is Good for Their Health
OurTime.com Survey Reveals Surprising Findings on 50-Plus Singles' Views of Sexuality and Body Image
LOS ANGELES, Oct. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Today OurTime.com, the largest online dating community catering to singles over 50, announced the results of its Sex and Body Image survey. The survey, which polled over 750 members in its online community, revealed that a whopping 97 percent believe a sexual relationship is good for their health. According to this group, it's no longer the old adage that an apple a day will keep the doctor away; but rather an active sexual relationship that does the trick.
The results also showed that positive body image increases with age. In fact, 70 percent of respondents replied that they feel more comfortable in their bodies now than when they were younger, and 90 percent of respondents feel good about their body today, giving them the confidence to have sex more regularly.
"Many young people think that once you hit 50, your body image automatically changes and your sex life immediately takes a hit, but this couldn't be further from the truth," said Dr. Gail Saltz, OurTime.com's Relationship Expert and Psychiatrist. "As these survey results show, 50-plus singles are more comfortable in their own skin than ever before and are enjoying themselves fully at this point in life."
More highlights from the OurTime.com Sex and Body Image Survey are as follows:
Keeping the Communication Lines Open:
- 70 percent of those surveyed would be absolutely willing to talk candidly about their sexual needs and desires with their potential mate.
- In fact, 77 percent feel more comfortable talking about sex than when they were younger.
- Most importantly, almost all respondents want a partner who is comfortable with their sexuality: a whopping 97 percent of respondents furthered that they feel it is important that their potential partner is able to talk candidly about sex, and his or her sexual needs and desires.
Frequency and Safety:
- An overwhelming 91 percent of respondents believe regular or frequent sex is more important now that they are near or over the age of 50.
- In defining what regular sex means to them, 65 percent would prefer to have sex with their partner two to three times a week; 20 percent would prefer to have sex daily.
- When it comes to sexual safety, 75 percent said they would use protection against sexually transmitted diseases when engaging in sex with a new partner.
OurTime.com is an online dating community uniting more than one million singles ages 50-plus, among the fastest-growing demographics in the market. The site provides a premier experience tailored to the unique needs of those over 50, helping them to easily connect with likeminded singles. Each day, almost 10,000 new members sign up, more than 500,000 communications are exchanged, and hundreds of singles credit the site with introducing them to someone special. For more information, visit http://www.ourtime.com.
About People Media
People Media, a business unit of IAC, is the number-one provider of targeted online dating communities for singles seeking meaningful relationships. These specialty sites provide a customized experience for those who wish to date within a specific demographic. A rapidly growing innovator in the online dating space, the company operates 28 individual web properties including BlackPeopleMeet.com and SingleParentMeet.com. The flagship site, OurTime.com, was created by combining the membership of People Media's SeniorPeopleMeet.com and SeniorsMeet.com. With more than one million active members, OurTime.com is now the largest online community catering to singles over 50. The company is based in West Hollywood, California.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.