Abbott's New FreeStyle InsuLinx Blood Glucose Monitoring System Receives FDA Clearance The Newest Meter in Abbott's Portfolio of Products Features Automated Logbook, Touch Screen Interface and USB Connectivity for Plug-and-Play Reports
ALAMEDA, Calif., March 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott (NYSE: ABT) today announced that it has received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) clearance for the FreeStyle InsuLinx Blood Glucose Monitoring System,(1) the first from Abbott to include a touch-screen interface, automated logbook and several personalization features designed to improve the diabetes management experience for patients. This unique device is also equipped with built-in FreeStyle Auto-Assist software that enables patients to track progress, analyze trends and easily display data for their health care providers. The FreeStyle InsuLinx System will be available to U.S. consumers within the coming months.
According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA), approximately 25.8 million people in the United States have diabetes,(2) and of those, many require insulin to manage their condition. The FreeStyle InsuLinx System is the newest addition to Abbott's portfolio of glucose monitoring systems and is designed to use FreeStyle technology to help insulin-using patients monitor their blood glucose levels to allow them to more effectively manage their condition. Specifically, the FreeStyle InsuLinx System offers:
- Touch screen designed for ease of use
- Automated logbook that assists with tracking logged insulin doses and blood glucose levels
- Personalization features, including the ability to upload weekly messages, pre-and post-meal markers and a personal photograph to the home screen
- FreeStyle Auto-Assist software that can be uploaded to a computer via USB connectivity and is designed to help people with diabetes, health care teams and caregivers manage diabetes with reports, reminders and messages
The FreeStyle InsuLinx System is compatible with the FreeStyle InsuLinx blood glucose test strips.
"The new FreeStyle InsuLinx System represents Abbott's latest advancement in delivering innovative products for people with diabetes who use insulin," said Heather L. Mason, senior vice president, Abbott Diabetes Care. "The improved functionality, data sharing tools and personalization features are designed to improve the diabetes management experience for patients. We are excited to make this product available to diabetes patients in the United States."
About Abbott Diabetes Care
Abbott Diabetes Care, based in Alameda, California, is a leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing glucose monitoring systems designed to help people better manage their diabetes. Additional information about Abbott Diabetes Care may be found at www.abbottdiabetescare.com.
Abbott is a global, broad-based health care company devoted to the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of pharmaceuticals and medical products, including nutritionals, devices and diagnostics. The company employs approximately 91,000 people and markets its products in more than 130 countries.
Abbott's news releases and other information are available on the company's website at www.abbott.com.
(1) FreeStyle and related brand marks are trademarks of Abbott Diabetes Care Inc. in various jurisdictions.
(2) American Diabetes Association: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/