ACC Relaunches Facts About BPA Website To Provide Consumer-Friendly Information On Safety, Benefits Of BPA
Redesign Features FDA Safety Assessment, Motion Graphic Video, Interactive Map
WASHINGTON, Aug. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Chemistry Council (ACC) Polycarbonate/BPA Global Group today is relaunching its website Facts About BPA, to provide the public with easy access to the latest science-based news, research and safety and health information on bisphenol A (BPA).
"We know consumers want straight-forward and factual information about chemicals in the products they use every day," said Steven G. Hentges, Ph.D., of the Polycarbonate/BPA Global Group of ACC. "Facts About BPA provides consumers and experts with clear, concise scientific information on the real-world safety of BPA."
The revamped website includes new sections that provide basic information about BPA, information on the latest scientific research and health effects, and an overview of the benefits and applications of BPA:
- The site highlights the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) latest safety assessment, which states that 'BPA is safe at the very low levels that occur in some foods' and 'the use of BPA in food packaging and containers is safe.'
- A new motion graphic video featured on the homepage illustrates what happens inside the human body when typical and trace amounts of BPA are consumed. It also explains how BPA in food packaging helps to extend a product's shelf life and protects food from contamination and spoilage.
- The "Benefits & Applications" section highlights how BPA's unique properties contribute to products that make everyday life more convenient and safe. Visitors can learn about a wide array of BPA applications, including how BPA chemistry improves wind energy products, food packaging and even safety equipment such as bike helmets and bulletproof glass. In neonatal care facilities, for example, BPA used in incubators is lightweight and shatter-resistant. In these products, BPA helps to provide an excellent safety barrier to protect infants while simultaneously allowing medical personnel to monitor infant health.
- The new website also includes an interactive world map where journalists, researchers and policy makers can easily find the latest BPA health and safety assessments from government bodies and scientists around the world. Users can click on a country to access government safety assessments. Scientific content on the revamped Facts About BPA website is robust; as BPA is one of the most thoroughly tested chemicals used today and has a safety track record of 50 years.
- Other new sections on the website include "BPA Safety," which delves into the myths and realities of BPA, defining what it means when a product is "BPA free." The "News & Updates" section captures the most important updates related to BPA quickly, and provides users with links to more scientific information from a variety of credible sources.
The American Chemistry Council (ACC) represents the leading companies engaged in the business of chemistry. ACC members apply the science of chemistry to make innovative products and services that make people's lives better, healthier and safer. ACC is committed to improved environmental, health and safety performance through Responsible Care®, common sense advocacy designed to address major public policy issues, and health and environmental research and product testing. The business of chemistry is a $770 billion enterprise and a key element of the nation's economy. It is one of the nation's largest exporters, accounting for twelve percent of all U.S. exports. Chemistry companies are among the largest investors in research and development. Safety and security have always been primary concerns of ACC members, and they have intensified their efforts, working closely with government agencies to improve security and to defend against any threat to the nation's critical infrastructure.
SOURCE American Chemistry Council
More by this Source
ACC Welcomes Draft House Legislation To Update TSCA
Feb 27, 2014, 19:20 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.