Add Green To Your Halloween!
Join Green America and AZA-Accredited Zoos and Aquariums for Green Halloween® Events Around the Country
SILVER SPRING, Md., Oct. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and Green Halloween®, a program of Green America, have partnered to provide communities with healthy, animal-friendly, and EEK-O-friendly Halloween events at 50 participating zoo and aquarium locations.
"Green Halloween events and booths will show kids and adults how to apply the 3Rs – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – to Halloween activities," said AZA Senior Vice President of Marketing, Organizational Planning and Operations, Jill Nicoll. "From swapping conventional candy for healthier treats, to participating in green costume contests and making animal crafts out of recycled products, Green Halloween demonstrates how there are a number of ways to make Halloween fun and eco-friendly."
A list of participating zoos and aquariums can be found at http://greenhalloween.org/content.php?page=azafamilies. If your local zoo or aquarium is not sponsoring a Green Halloween event, there are many great ways to also participate at home. Five tips to make your Halloween healthier and greener include:
- Always purchase new costumes? This year, SWAP! National Costume Swap Day™ is Saturday, October 13, so before heading to the big box store, look for a local costume swap.
- Prefer to hand out treasures? Empty your kids' pockets! Get inspired by the treasures they store—shiny rocks, feathers, sea shells. Stock up on these types of items and offer a choice.
- Looking for alternatives to conventional candy? Choose healthier treats that everyone from toddlers to teens will love including snack bars, organic lollipops, fruit snacks, or all natural gum.
- In the habit of buying new Halloween decor every year? Try exchanging old for new-to-you decor with friends and neighbors, or find decorations at your local Goodwill. Consider using edible items like pumpkins and other types of squash that can be turned into yummy soups and dishes after Halloween. Host a make-it-take-it decor party before the big day. Pull out every black, purple or orange item in your home and decorate with those. Search online for how to make decor out of items you'd normally toss.
- Used to giving out handfuls? Cut back by 25%. Kids won't notice the difference, but you'll save money.
Hundreds of other suggestions are available at www.GreenHalloween.org, along with ways everyone can participate. Schools, community and government groups, libraries, dentists and doctors, all will find easy-to-implement ideas. Look for official Green Halloween® events in your local area by visiting www.GreenHalloween.org or create your own with tips and resources from Green Halloween and its sponsors.
Green Halloween is a grassroots community initiative that helps families celebrate healthier and environmentally-friendly holidays, starting with Halloween. It is a program of Green America, a national non-profit green economy organization. Healthier and sustainable treats are provided by Green Halloween's partners, including: Honest Tea, Lara Bar, Stretch Island Fruit Co., Endangered Species Chocolate, Unreal, Plum Organics, Applegate, Cascadian, Surf Sweets, Bitsy's Brainfood, Brainard's Natural Remedies, and Glee Gum. For more information about Green Halloween or to obtain photos, contact Elizabeth O'Connell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE ASSOCIATION OF ZOOS AND AQUARIUMS:
Founded in 1924, the Association of Zoos and Aquariums is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of zoos and aquariums in the areas of conservation, education, science, and recreation. Look for the AZA logo whenever you visit a zoo or aquarium as your assurance that you are supporting a facility dedicated to providing excellent care for animals, a great experience for you, and a better future for all living things. The AZA is a leader in global wildlife conservation, and your link to helping animals in their native habitats. To learn more visit www.aza.org.
ABOUT GREEN AMERICA:
Green America is the nation's leading green economy organization. Founded in 1982, Green America (formerly Co-op America) provides the economic strategies, organizing power and practical tools for businesses and individuals to solve today's social and environmental problems. www.GreenAmerica.org
SOURCE Green America, Washington, D.C.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.