ATLANTA, March 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Randstad Administrative & Clerical Worker Employee Confidence Index, a measure of overall confidence among U.S. administrative and clerical workers, rose 3.8 points to 51.6 percent, indicating the highest levels of employee confidence since Q3 2007.
"As the job market for administrative and clerical workers continues to improve, we see a corresponding optimism among workers in how they view the economy, available jobs and their willingness to job search," said Phyllis Finley, executive vice president at Randstad US.
The quarterly study, conducted online by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad, surveyed 502 U.S. workers employed in the office and administrative sector in October, November and December of 2012.
"In this quarter's survey, we see not only a growing confidence among workers in their ability to find jobs, but also their intent to job search," Finley said. "More than a third of workers surveyed stated they were confident in their ability to find a new job, while the majority of workers were optimistic about the future of their employers. Also, according to our latest Engagement Study of administrative and customer service workers, 58 percent expect the job market to pick up in 2013. These findings indicate that it's imperative for companies to focus on employee engagement and retention efforts, especially as employees look to new job opportunities as the economy continues to show steady signs of improvement."
Number of Administrative Workers Who Believe the Economy is Weakening Declines in Q4
- Thirty-seven percent of administrative and clerical workers believe the strength of the economy is weakening, dropping five percentage points from the previous quarter's reading. Four-in-ten workers (40 percent) believe the strength of the economy is staying the same.
Growing Number of Administrative Workers Believe More Jobs Are Available
- Twenty-one percent of administrative and clerical workers believe there are more jobs available, up from 16 percent in the third quarter. Meanwhile, the number of workers who believe there are fewer jobs available dropped to 46 percent, down 10 percentage points from the previous quarter's readings.
Administrative Workers Split on Confidence in their Ability to Find Jobs
- When asked how optimistic they are in their ability to find employment, 36 percent of administrative workers indicate that they are confident they could find a job. A third (33 percent) are neutral on the subject, while 30 percent say they are not confident in their ability to find a job.
High Number of Administrative Workers Feel Confident in their Employers' Future
- Six-in-ten administrative workers (60 percent) feel confident in the future of their current employer, with only 14 percent feeling not confident in the future of their company.
Over One-Third of Administrative Workers Likely to Job Search
- Thirty-four percent of administrative workers say they are likely to look for a new job in the next 12 months, compared to 30 percent in the third quarter of 2012.
To view the latest quarterly trends report, click here.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad from October 8-10, November 12-14 and December 11-13, 2012, among 4,738 adults ages 18 and older of which 502 are employed in administrative and clerical positions. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact email@example.com.
Randstad is a $22.0 billion global provider of HR services and the second largest staffing organization in the world. From temporary staffing to permanent placement to inhouse, professionals, search & selection, and HR Solutions, Randstad holds top positions around the world and has approximately 29,300 corporate employees and around 4,500 branches and inhouse locations in 39 countries around the world. Founded in 1960 and headquartered in Diemen, the Netherlands, Randstad Holding nv is listed on the NYSE Euronext Amsterdam.
Learn more at www.randstad.com and access Randstad's panoramic US thought leadership knowledge center through its Workforce360 site that offers valuable insight into the latest economic indicators and HR trends shaping the world of work.