RACINE, Wis., May 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As signs of life emerge after one of the coldest, snowiest winters on record for much of the U.S.1, Americans long to reunite with the outdoors, but not with bugs. According to a new national survey2 conducted on behalf of the OFF!® brand, nearly all Americans (97 percent) think it's important to spend time outside, but almost three-quarters of Americans wish they could spend more time outdoors.
While weather may be out of our control, protection from mosquitoes isn't. To help get people outside, the OFF!® brand has provided trusted products and effective protection for more than 50 years. Insect repellent is especially important this year, as Americans are mindful of potential barriers to warm-weather enjoyment, identifying bugs like mosquitoes and ticks as the number one thing (70 percent) that spoils time outside, followed by disrespectful people (48 percent). Roughly one quarter of respondents blame personal technology for ruining outdoor fun, with 29 percent referring to other people using their phones and 22 percent citing personal distractions by their own phone or tablet.
The survey was fielded in support of a new partnership between the OFF!® brand and National Get Outdoors Day, an initiative dedicated to helping Americans enjoy more time outdoors. To follow along and see how you can join in on the fun, visit www.facebook.com/OFF and www.Instagram.com/OffOutdoors.
Mosquitoes are No Simple Foe
The survey found some surprising facts about just how far people are willing to go to get rid of mosquito bites:
- Half of America would rather clean a bathroom than deal with bug bites.
- One in five Americans would actually be willing to give up all technology for a week in order to heal bug bites, and nearly four out of 10 would rather complete their tax returns.
- Bugs, such as mosquitoes and ticks, were reported as being worse than allergies, distractions from electronics, and feeling out of shape when it comes to spoiling time outside.
With these sentiments in mind, this year the OFF!® brand is introducing OFF!® Explore™ to its portfolio. This new set of products offers portable, easily accessible repellent for outdoor enthusiasts such as the OFF!® Explore™ 3 oz. Aerosol that features a snap-on carabiner top allowing for easy accessibility by attaching to the outside of equipment and the OFF!® Explore™ Insect Repellent, which comes in a portable, leak-resistant case for on-the-go adventurers.
In addition to the new OFF!® Explore™ line, the OFF!® brand has a suite of products to help people spend more time outdoors this summer, such as OFF!® Clip-On™, a personal mosquito repellent that doesn't have to be applied directly to skin - great for personal relaxation. For more exuberant exercise, use a repellent like OFF! Deep Woods® for long-lasting protection against mosquitoes, ticks and biting flies.
Making the Most of the Great Outdoors
Beyond the threat of mosquitoes, ticks and other bugs, the survey found that Americans almost universally love being outside, and that getting outside can lead to countless benefits. Now that the weather has warmed up, consider these figures and tips from the OFF!® brand:
- Relax – Eight in 10 stressed people agree that being outside allows them to relax, and exactly three quarters think getting outside is important for their physical health.
- Plan Ahead – When you plan outings, pack everything you'll need to stay comfortable so you can make the most of your time. Keep sunscreen, mosquito repellent, water and snacks on-hand so you don't have to cut time outside short.
- Keep it Social – Fifteen percent of people claim to have difficulty in getting friends to do things outside with them. Take a long walk with a neighbor or host a backyard barbeque to spend time outside and connect with friends and family.
- Explore on Vacation – More than three-quarters of Americans said their ideal vacation includes a lot of outdoor time. Many OFF!® products are easily portable to take on trips. OFF!® was just named the winner for Insect Repellant in the 2014 Travelers' Choice Awards, as voted by TripAdvisor travelers. The awards recognize the must-have brands for travel around the world.
Keeps Bugs OFF!®
For more information about OFF!® products, check out www.OFF.com. OFF!® repellent products are available in the insect repellent, lawn-and-garden and sporting good sections of food, drug, do-it-yourself and mass-merchandise stores such as Target, Walmart and CVS.
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR MUSCLE®, and RIDSECT®. The 128-year-old company, that generates $9 billion in sales, employs nearly 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
1 According to http://www.weather.com/news/winter-ncdc-state-climate-report-2013-2014-20140313
2 This research was conducted within the U.S. by independent market research company Edelman Berland on behalf of OFF! from March 14-19, 2014, among 1,006 participants age 18 or older (464 men and 542 women). The margin of error for the audience is + 3.1 percent at the 95 percent confidence level
SOURCE SC Johnson