AIRMALL® Maryland Launches Inaugural Workplace Development Program for BWI Marshall Concessions
-- Program Assists Tenants and Employees in Recruitment, Training, Life Skills and More --
BALTIMORE, Jan. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- AIRMALL® USA, the leading airport concessions developer in North America, and operator of the AIRMALL at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI Marshall), has partnered with several Anne Arundel County organizations to launch the AIRMALL Workplace Development Program to support current and future concession employees and tenants at BWI Marshall Airport.
"With the help of several county business resources and partners, AIRMALL is pleased to launch a new workforce enrichment program that is designed to support the entire concession program life cycle and directly benefit both the BWI Marshall concession employees and tenants," said Brett Kelly, vice president of AIRMALL Maryland. "The series of business, career, and personal development programs are part of our overall commitment to ensuring that AIRMALL continues to cultivate high-quality opportunities for businesses and employees in Anne Arundel County and the state."
As part of the workplace development program, AIRMALL has partnered with several Anne Arundel County organizations to offer free classes and programs designed for both professional and personal growth. Classes offered by the program include technical training such as ServSafe® and English as a Second Language (ESL), as well as life skill classes such as GED exam prep, career mapping and time management. Additionally, AIRMALL will provide programs and resources that can assist Maryland-based companies interested in joining the concessions program.
AIRMALL Maryland is working with the following organizations to launch and execute the workplace development program:
- The Center for Workforce Solutions (CWS) at Anne Arundel Community College (AACC) will offer technical training to concession program employees, including providing ServSafe® food safety certification and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.
- The Anne Arundel Workforce Development Corporation (AAWDC) will cultivate and train job seekers and match their skills and experience with AIRMALL subtenants for specific concession job openings. They will also provide a workplace excellence series to train and retain employees.
- The Maryland Small Business & Technology Development Center (MSBTDC) and AIRMALL will partner to identify Maryland-based restaurants and retail businesses that may be strong candidates for the concessions program. The MSBTDC will work with potential tenants to develop a business plan, marketing plan, growth strategy and financing plan at no charge.
- The Anne Arundel Economic Development Corporation will work with AIRMALL to assist qualified local businesses in securing capital, including small business loans and financing options, for expansion into the BWI Marshall concessions program.
- Health Care Access Maryland presented sessions to BWI Marshall concessions employees on January 22, 2014 about available health care options. The organization returned on Friday, January 24 to help enroll interested employees.
"Anne Arundel Workforce Development Corporation is committed to delivering innovative workforce solutions for businesses in Anne Arundel County," said Sallie Hays Sarelas, business services director at AAWDC. "This collaboration is a win-win for everyone - businesses, employees, and job seekers."
At the end of 2013, several employees graduated from English as a Second Language classes taught by Anne Arundel Community College. Two employees at Auntie Anne's at the AIRMALL at BWI Marshall were among the graduates of the first class and shared their experience.
"I am more confident speaking to customers about the items we sell, and I am a better host to my customers," said Benedicto Celis, Auntie Anne's employee.
"The ESL class helps me be better at my job. I understand my customers better, so I can help them more quickly," added Madilyn Abuel, Auntie Anne's employee.
AIRMALL will also launch its inaugural Lunch & Learn program, which will bring in expert speakers from across Maryland to speak with concessions employees at BWI Marshall Airport. Lunch & Learn topics will include personal finance, college enrollment and tuition resources, home buying tips, women's health and work/life balance.
For more information on AIRMALL USA, visit www.airmall.com.
About AIRMALL® USA
AIRMALL® USA is the developer and manager of the retail, food and beverage operations at Pittsburgh International Airport, Boston Logan International Airport (terminals B and E), Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, and Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. The leading airport concessions model in North America, AIRMALL USA continues to boast the highest per-passenger spend on the continent and consistently receives accolades for innovation and customer service. For more information on AIRMALL USA, visit www.airmall.com.
For AIRMALL USA
SOURCE AIRMALL USA
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.