Alcatel-Lucent to supply ultra-broadband access technology for China Telecom's new LTE network Alcatel-Lucent's solution to support LTE-TDD and LTE-FDD deployments in 12 provinces
SHANGHAI and PARIS, Dec. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) announced today that its innovative LTE solution has been selected by China Telecom for the operator's nationwide trial of high-speed mobile broadband. China Telecom has chosen Alcatel-Lucent as one of the top three suppliers for its network infrastructure operating in both the LTE TDD and FDD modes.
The Chinese market is now the world's largest for subscribers, mobile data services and smartphones, and is increasing at a rate of more than 50 percent each year. China Telecom currently has more than 181 million mobile customers throughout the country.
- China Telecom has selected Alcatel-Lucent's lightRadio™ LTE Radio Access Network (RAN) as a key piece of its new nationwide ultra-broadband mobile access network
- Alcatel-Lucent will provide 9,892 base stations as one of the top three suppliers for China Telecom's deployment of LTE-TDD and LTE-FDD technologies in 12 provinces in China
- China Telecom has more than 181 million subscribers, and is deploying its LTE network to help meet the ever-increasing demand for high speed mobile Internet in the world's largest Smartphone market
- The announcement with China Telecom comes on the heels of two major LTE-TDD announcements with China Mobile and Sprint, reinforcing Alcatel-Lucent's leadership in LTE
- Alcatel-Lucent has established a strong global leadership position in LTE with more than 40 contracts for commercial deployments comprising eight of the top 10 global service providers
- As The Shift Plan drives Alcatel-Lucent's industrial repositioning as a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access solutions, LTE deployments such as that with China Telecom underscore the importance of offering technology enabling both the transition to ultra-broadband access and unlocking its benefits
Michel Combes, CEO of Alcatel-Lucent, said: "Ultra-broadband access is a core part of The Shift Plan, and mobile broadband in particular is one of the areas we are investing in to provide customers with technology enabling them to bring their LTE services to market quickly and effectively. As such, this is a significant win for Alcatel-Lucent, underlining the relevance and popularity of our LTE strategy. With this innovative platform, China Telecom will be able to launch its LTE services rapidly, allowing its customers to quickly enjoy the services enabled by this technology."
- LTE: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/solutions/4g-lte
- Ultra-Broadband for Mobile Operators http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/solutions/wireless-ip
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world's foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies". Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader for Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.