"Many losses that may occur in a rental situation could be covered because home insurance is pretty broad in regards to the house itself," said Gary Heslinga, Michigan sales leader for Allstate. "But, this type of endorsement will help protect a homeowner from unexpected costs if, for example, a home-sharing renter destroys or steals your personal belongings."
Here's how Allstate's HostAdvantageSM endorsement works:
- It helps fill some of the personal property protection gaps that may exist in a typical homeowners policy for customers who occasionally rent out their homes to temporary renters.
- The homeowners deductible still applies, but hosts are covered for their personal property up to $10,000 per rental period, subject to the policy terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions.
- HostAdvantage protection can be added to an Allstate homeowners policy for around $50 per year.
While some home-sharing companies like Airbnb or HomeAway may have coverage options for their hosts, Allstate's HostAdvantage targets the specific needs of its customers who participate in home-sharing and provides a trusted brand that enhances a customer's current homeowner policy. Allstate anticipates making this protection available in additional states in 2017.
Allstate offers a few tips to keep in mind for anyone who chooses to occasionally rent out their home to temporary tenants:
- Consider making an "owner's closet" in your home where you can lock up any valuables or home goods you don't want your tenants to have access to while they're in your home.
- Make sure you have an updated record of your personal belongings in the home. Allstate has a free tool called Digital Locker that allows you to take an inventory of the contents in your home and store it electronically so you have a record if anything happens. Any consumer can use Digital Locker, not just Allstate customers.
- Take the opportunity to have a coverage review session with an Allstate agency owner before renting out your home.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation's largest publicly held personal lines insurer, protecting approximately 16 million households from life's uncertainties through auto, home, life and other insurance offered through its Allstate, Esurance, Encompass and Answer Financial brand names. Now celebrating its 85th anniversary as an insurer, Allstate is widely known through the slogan "You're In Good Hands With Allstate®." The Allstate brand's network of small businesses offers auto, home, life and retirement products and services to customers in the United States and Canada. In 2015, The Allstate Foundation, Allstate, its employees and agency owners gave $36 million to support local communities. Allstate employees and agency owners donated 230,000 hours of service across the country.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/allstate-offers-home-sharing-protection-in-michigan-to-better-protect-those-who-occasionally-rent-their-homes-300317837.html
SOURCE Allstate Insurance Company