Amazon and USAA Deliver Best Online Experience, According to New Temkin Group Research
Third Annual Temkin Web Experience Ratings Evaluates 211 Companies Across 19 Industries to Reveal Overall Poor State of Web Experiences
WABAN, Mass., Aug. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Amazon.com earned the top rating and USAA took the next two spots for its bank and insurance businesses in the third annual Temkin Web Experience Ratings. The ratings are based on Temkin Group's survey of 10,000 U.S consumers and examines 211 companies across 19 industries. Other companies at the top of the ratings are Regions, U.S. Bank, eBay, Advantage Rent A Car, credit unions, and QVC. At the other end of the spectrum, MSN, Health Net, EarthLink, and Cablevision earned the lowest ratings.
The ratings expose an overall poor state of web experiences. Only 6% of companies earned "strong" or "very strong" ratings, while 63% earned "weak" or "very weak" ratings. The research also shows that web experiences aren't improving. Over half of the companies that were in the 2012 and 2013 ratings earned lower scores this year.
"The web is a key channel, but online experiences aren't very good and are heading in the wrong direction," states Bruce Temkin, Managing Partner of Temkin Group.
Here are some additional highlights from the 2013 Temkin Web Experience Ratings:
- Amazon.com and USAA's insurance business earned ratings that were 20 points above their industry averages and eight other companies were at least 10 points above their peers: Kaiser Permanente, Advantage Rent A Car, eBay, QVC, USAA (bank), Sonic Drive-In, Charles Schwab, and Fidelity Investments.
- Health Net and RadioShack earned ratings that were 20 points or more less than their industry averages and six other companies were at least 15 points below their peers: 21st Century, American Family, Days Inn, Taco Bell, and Kmart.
- Banks earned the highest average Temkin Web Experience Ratings, followed by investment firms, retailers, credit card issuers, and hotel chains.
- Five industries earned average ratings of "very weak" ratings: Internet service providers, TV service providers, airlines, health plans, and wireless carriers.
Temkin Group examined year-over-year results for the 154 companies that were in the 2012 and 2013 ratings and found that:
- Forty-one percent of companies improved, while 53% declined.
- Eight companies showed double-digit increases: Humana, Old Navy, U.S. Bank, Citibank, TriCare, Blue Shield of California, Toyota, and Safeway.
- Twenty-one companies declined by at least 10 points and six companies dropped by more than 15 points: Southwest Airlines, MSN, United Airlines, ShopRite, Cablevision, and Bright House Networks.
- Seven industries improved, while nine declined. Airlines suffered the most dramatic drop, losing 15 points between 2012 and 2013.
For more information about Temkin Group, visit www.TemkinGroup.com.
About Temkin Group: Temkin Group is widely recognized as a leading customer experience research and consulting firm. Many of the world's largest brands rely on its insights and advice to steer their transformational journeys. Temkin Group combines customer experience thought leadership with a deep understanding of the dynamics of organizations to help accelerate results. Rather than layering on cosmetic changes, Temkin Group helps companies embed practices within their culture by building four critical competencies: Purposeful Leadership, Employee Engagement, Compelling Brand Values, and Customer Connectedness. The firm's ongoing research identifies leading and emerging best practices across a wide range of activities for engaging the hearts and minds of customers, employees, and partners. For more information, contact Bruce Temkin at 617-916-2075 or send an email.
About Bruce Temkin: Bruce Temkin is widely recognized as a customer experience thought leader and is Customer Experience Transformist and Managing Partner of Temkin Group. He is also the author of a very popular blog, Customer Experience Matters® (ExperienceMatters.wordpress.com). Prior to forming Temkin Group, he was a VP at Forrester Research for 12 years. Bruce is a highly demanded speaker who consistently receives high marks for his content-rich, entertaining keynote addresses. He is also the co-founder and Chair of the Customer Experience Professionals Association (CXPA.org), a global non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of customer experience management.
Customer experience matters is a registered trademark of Temkin Group.
Read more news from Temkin Group.
SOURCE Temkin Group
More by this Source
New Temkin Group Research Study Reveals Consumers Recommend USAA the Most and HSBC the Least
Nov 14, 2013, 08:35 ET
50 Top Customer Experience Tips Published by Temkin Group in Infographic, eBook Form
Oct 09, 2013, 08:35 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.