WASHINGTON, Jan. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Cohen Group announced today that Ambassador Marc Grossman, who spent the last two years as The United States' Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan has returned to The Cohen Group as Vice Chairman.
"We are delighted to welcome Marc Grossman back to our firm following his further service to the President, Secretary Clinton, and the country over the past two years," said firm chairman William S. Cohen, who served as Secretary of Defense under President Clinton.
Ambassador Grossman first joined The Cohen Group in 2005 following an almost 30-year career in the U.S. Foreign Service which culminated in his service as Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, the third-ranking official in the State Department. During his career, Ambassador Grossman also served as the U.S. Ambassador to Turkey among many other positions. As the Under Secretary for Political Affairs, Ambassador Grossman directed the daily operations of United States' diplomacy and is one of a limited number of individuals to hold the rank of Career Ambassador.
In early 2011, following the sudden death of Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, President Obama and Secretary Clinton asked Ambassador Grossman to serve as the U.S. Special Representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan. Ambassador Grossman served in this challenging role with distinction. His efforts were central to the continued progress that has been made in the past two years as the US seeks a responsible end to the war and to support Afghanistan as a secure, stable, and prosperous country in a secure, stable, and prosperous region. He was intimately involved in all of the key questions recently discussed by Presidents Obama and Karzai, such as preparations for next year's Afghan elections and the prospects for advancing an Afghan peace process.
In January, 2013 Ambassador Grossman was appointed a Kissinger Senior Fellow at the Jackson Institute at Yale University. He is the Chairman of the Board of the Senior Living Foundation of the Foreign Service and a board member of the German Marshall Fund of the United States.
Raised in Los Angeles, California, Ambassador Grossman has a BA in Political Science from the University of California, Santa Barbara and an MSc in International Relations from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Ambassador Grossman re-joins a deep roster of senior talent at The Cohen Group which includes, among others:
- General Joseph Ralston, former NATO Supreme Allied Commander and Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff;
- Ambassador Nicholas Burns, who succeeded Ambassador Grossman as Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs and also served as Ambassador to NATO and Greece;
- Admiral James Loy, who served as Deputy Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security and Commandant of the US Coast Guard;
- Ambassador Jeff Davidow, who in addition to serving as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs served as U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, Venezuela, and Zambia.
- Lord George Robertson, who served as NATO Secretary General and the UK Defense Minister;
- General Paul Kern, who served as the Commander of the Army Materiel Command and the Senior Adviser for Army Research, Development and Acquisition;
- Lt. General Joe Yakovac, who served as Director of the Army Acquisition Corps and Military Deputy to the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology;
- Lt. General Harry Raduege, who served as Director of the Defense Information Systems Agency and Commander of the Joint Task Force Global Network Operations.
About The Cohen Group:
The Cohen Group is comprised of more than 60 professionals with many decades of combined experience working in top-level positions in Congress, the White House, the State Department, the Defense Department, the Department of Homeland Security, the intelligence community, other federal agencies, and in European and Asian governments, international organizations and the private sector.
With offices in Washington, London, Beijing, Tianjin, and New Delhi, The Cohen Group provides its clients the insights and intelligence needed to better understand and shape the business, political, legal, regulatory, and media environments in which they operate. This includes both developing strategic business plans to help clients achieve their objectives, and actively participating with clients in the execution of those plans. The Cohen Group practice groups include Aerospace & Defense; Homeland Security; China; India; Telecommunications and Information Technology; Energy & Resources; Transportation & Logistics; Health Care & Life Sciences; Financial Services & Investment; and Real Estate, serving clients in North America, East Asia, South Asia, Europe, Russia, Australia, Africa and Latin America.
The Cohen Group also has a strong strategic partnership with DLA Piper, an international law firm with over 4,200 lawyers and 71 offices in 30 countries throughout the world.
For more information, please visit www.cohengroup.net.
SOURCE The Cohen Group