America The Fixable Fills Substantive Void In 2012 Debate With Health Care Solutions
America the Fixable, Hosted by TheAtlantic.com in Partnership with Common Good, is Generating Bipartisan Candor
NEW YORK, May 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Prominent leaders from both major political parties are joining an online discussion series on how to fix broken government. The series – titled America the Fixable – is hosted by TheAtlantic.com in partnership with Common Good. America the Fixable brings together prominent leaders from both major political parties, and other leading experts, to discuss a new topic of national importance each month. The month of May is focused on "Curing What Ails The Health Care System" and includes, among its contributors, the following:
- Philip K. Howard, Chair of Common Good: "Beyond Obamacare," recommending a radical simplification of Medicare and Medicaid
- Julie Barnes, Director of Health Policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center: "Moving Away From Fee-for-Service"
- John W. Rowe, physician and Professor at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health: "Why Nurses Need More Authority"
- John Rother, President and CEO of the National Coalition on Health Care: "Trimming the Fat From America's Wasteful Health Care System"
- Jim Cooper, Member of Congress (D-TN): "The Minimalist Case for Continuing with Health Care Reform"
- Marshall Kapp, Director of the Florida State University Center for Innovative Collaboration in Medicine and Law: "How to Fix Nursing Homes."
Upcoming contributors include the following: Senator Ron Wyden; Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, President of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and Thomas Scully, former Administrator of the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
America the Fixable has focused in previous months on "How Obsolete Laws Clog the System" and "The Broken Promise of American Education." Among the many leaders who have contributed insightful ideas as part of the series are Governor Mitch Daniels (R-IN), Senator Mark Warner (D-VA), former Governor Jeb Bush (R-FL), Congressman Rob Andrews (D-NJ), American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten, New York City Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott, Teach for America Founder Wendy Kopp, and KIPP Schools Co-Founder Mike Feinberg.
All articles from America the Fixable are available free at http://www.theatlantic.com/special-report/america-fixable.
Common Good (www.commongood.org) is a nonpartisan government reform coalition dedicated to restoring common sense to America. The Chair of Common Good is Philip K. Howard, a lawyer and author of Life Without Lawyers and The Death of Common Sense.
SOURCE Common Good
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.