"We are honored to welcome these three new distinguished members to the Board of Directors," said Arnold M. Baskies, MD, FACS, 2017 chair of the Board. "The Board of Directors is comprised of talent, strength, and the commitment to continue to provide strong leadership to help impact our collective efforts to save more lives from cancer."
- Amit Kumar, PhD: Dr. Kumar is the Executive Chairman of ITUS Corporation, a cancer diagnostic company. He is an experienced research scientist, executive, and investor. Over the last 20 years, Dr. Kumar has performed and managed research programs in both cancer diagnostics and therapeutics. He has also built strong relationships with Venture Capital firms and other investors in the biotechnology space and has a strong understanding of and experience in structuring financial and business transactions.
- Joseph M. Naylor: Mr. Naylor is vice president of Policy, Government, and Public Affairs for Chevron Corporation, a position he has held since April 2016. He is responsible for U.S. and international government relations, all aspects of communications, and the company's worldwide corporate responsibility activities. Mr. Naylor also serves on the California Division Board.
- William D. Novelli: Mr. Novelli is a professor in the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University. He teaches in the MBA program and created and leads the Global Social Enterprise Initiative at the School. He is also co-chair of C-TAC, a national coalition to transform advanced illness/end of life care in the U.S. Previously, he served as CEO of AARP. Prior to AARP, he was President of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, where he now serves as chairman of the board. He also served as Executive Vice President of CARE, the international relief and development organization. Mr. Novelli is a recognized leader in social marketing and social change.
- Arnold M. Baskies, MD, FACS: Dr. Baskies is a medical director at Virtua Health Systems in southern New Jersey, where he specializes in surgical oncology and general surgery. He is a past president of the Eastern Division Board and was awarded an American Cancer Society St. George National Award in 2009. A former American Cancer Society grant recipient and Society volunteer for more than 35 years, Dr. Baskies has served on the American Cancer Society Board of Directors since 2010.
- Kevin J. Cullen, MD: Dr. Cullen is the director at the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center in Baltimore, Maryland. Cullen actively supports the American Cancer Society Patient Navigator Program at the local and Division levels. In 2011, he was appointed by President Obama to the National Cancer Advisory Board and in 2012 was elected to the Board of the American Association of Cancer Institutes. Dr. Cullen has served on the South Atlantic Division Board and has been a member of the American Cancer Society Board of Directors since 2009.
- Lewis E. Foxhall, MD: Dr. Foxhall is the vice president for Health Policy and professor of Clinical Cancer Prevention at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He currently serves on the High Plains Division Board and is a former Secretary of the ACS CAN Board of Directors. Dr. Foxhall has been involved with the Society for more than two decades. He was awarded an American Cancer Society St. George National Award in 2011.
- John Alfonso, CPA, CGMA: Mr. Alfonso is a partner in the CohnReznick LLP New York office and leads the efforts of the firm's not-for-profit and education industry practice in New York. He has more than 25 years of experience providing audit, accounting, tax, and consulting services to not-for-profit organizations. Mr. Alfonso has served on the Eastern Division Board and has been a member of the American Cancer Society Board of Directors since 2011.
- Scarlott K. Mueller, MPH, RN: Mueller retired as the vice president and chief nursing officer at the North Florida Regional Medical Center. She has been an American Cancer Society volunteer for 35 years. She has served on the Florida Division Board for 19 years and was the president/chair from 2004 until 2005. She was awarded an American Cancer Society St. George National Award in 2010 and the Florida Division Distinguished Service Award in 2013. Mueller has served for six years on the American Cancer Society Board of Directors.
"We would like to thank our outgoing 2016 Board members Carolyn F. Rhee, FACHE, Gil West, and Robert E. Youle for all of their dedication, contribution and leadership to the American Cancer Society," said Scarlott K. Mueller, MPH, RN, 2016 chair of the Board. "Their Board terms will conclude in December, and we look forward to their continued engagement in helping us free the world from the pain and suffering from cancer."
The 2017 American Cancer Society Board of Directors:
Arnold M. Baskies, MD, FACS - Chair
Kevin J. Cullen, MD - Vice Chair
Lewis E. Foxhall, MD - Board Scientific Officer
John Alfonso, CPA, CGMA - Secretary/Treasurer
Scarlott K. Mueller, MPH, RN - Immediate Past Chair
F. Daniel Armstrong, PhD
Patricia J. Crome, RN, MN, NE-BC, FACMPE
Leeann Chau Dang, MS
Carmen E. Guerra, MD, MSCE, FACP
John W. Hamilton, DDS
Daniel P. Heist, CPA
Susan D. Henry, LCSW
Gareth T. Joyce
Jeffrey L. Kean
Amit Kumar, PhD
Jorge Luis Lopez, Esq.
Brian A. Marlow, CFA
Joseph M. Naylor
William D. Novelli
Gregory L. Pemberton, Esq.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/american-cancer-society-welcomes-three-new-members-and-newly-elected-officers-to-board-of-directors-300377293.html
SOURCE American Cancer Society