American Wine Society Honors Jim Bernau As Award Of Merit Recipient
SALEM, Ore., Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The American Wine Society (AWS) has awarded its 2012 Award of Merit to winery owner and environmentalist Jim Bernau. The Award of Merit, the Society's highest honor, recognizes substantial and meritorious contributions to the wine industry.
The AWS presented the award at its National Conference in Portland, Ore. On November 10 to recognize Bernau, President and Founder of Willamette Valley Vineyards, the leading producer of Oregon Certified Sustainable Wine. In addition to his success in establishing the winery, Bernau has a long record as supporting wine research and as an environmentalist and steward of the land.
- First winery in the world to use sustainable cork stoppers certified by the Rainforest Alliance to Forest Stewardship Council standards
- Gifted securities to Oregon State University to create the first endowed Professorship in Fermentation Science in the U.S.
- Vineyards certified sustainable through LIVE (Low Input Viticulture and Enology) and Salmon Safe
- First winery to receive the "Hero of Salmon" design award from Salmon Safe
- Partnered with Amorim Cork America, SOLV and Yemm & Hart to begin nationwide cork recycling campaign
Willamette Valley Vineyards was recognized by Wine Press Northwest as "Oregon Winery of the Year" and Wine & Spirits magazine as "Winery of the Year" in 2011.
"It is such an honor to receive this award from the American Wine Society", Bernau said. "It is a team effort here, where all of us at Willamette Valley Vineyards appreciate this recognition. As Oregonians, we strive to protect the environment and appreciate the AWS recognizing the importance of this work."
About the American Wine Society: Founded in 1967, the American Wine Society (AWS) is the oldest and largest consumer based organization in the U.S. dedicated to promoting wine appreciation through education. AWS is a non-profit organization of 4,200 wine enthusiasts, from novice to expert, in 125 chapters throughout the U.S. and Canada. Membership is open to any adult interested in wine.
To learn more, visit us online at: http://www.americanwinesociety.org.
SOURCE American Wine Society
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.