Amscot Financial contributes mini-grants to eight non-profit service groups
TAMPA, Fla., Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Amscot Financial, a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, recently gave mini-grants to eight non-profit service organizations in the Florida communities it serves. Mini-grants went to:
- Oak Hill Elementary School, Orlando. This public school in west Orange County is a Title I school where more than 80 percent of its students receive free or reduced lunches. The school is planning a field trip to Washington, D.C. to expose fifth graders to culturally and historic features of our nation's capital.
- Wheelchairs 4 Kids, Tarpon Springs. The mission of Wheelchairs 4 Kids is to improve the lives of children with limited mobility by providing wheelchairs, ramps and other adaptive devices. Many children in the U.S. faced with limited mobility are in wheelchairs that are too small, in disrepair, or which do not fit their needs. Often families are faced with trying to care for special-needs children in homes that have not been properly modified. For more information, please visit: http://wheelchairs4kids.org.
- Shiloh Charter Elementary School, Plant City. This school is working to create an iClass for 30 children, who would each have individual access to an iPad. For more information, please visit: http://www.shilohstars.com.
- Children's Advocacy Center for Osceola, Inc., Kissimmee. The Children's Advocacy Center serves Osceola County's most vulnerable children: victims of child abuse and neglect. In 2011, there were more than 4,000 reports of alleged child abuse involving Osceola County children. In the aftermath of victimization, children and non-offending family members are in need of a compassionate response aimed at helping them recover emotionally and physically. The CAC has been this compassionate response since 2003 and helps many children go on to live healthy, happy and productive lives For more information, please visit: http://www.osceolakids.com.
- Pregnancy Care Center, Tampa. This organization provides free and confidential services, including but not limited to: pregnancy tests, peer counseling, parenting classes, material assistance (diapers, wipes, clothing, food, formula, baby and toddler gear). The women who participate in the agency's "Earn While You Learn" program learn about becoming stable, successful parents. For more information, please visit: http://www.pregnancycaretampa.com.
- Healthy Start Coalition of Hardee, Highlands & Polk Counties, Inc., The coalition's Polk Youth Leadership Team helps educate, promote and support teen pregnancy prevention efforts in Polk County through the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Alliance (TPPA). Youth commit to giving back by performing community service; conducting pregnancy prevention awareness activities and advocating for teen issues. For more information, please visit: http://www.healthystarthhp.org.
- Plant City Black Heritage Celebration, Plant City. The 10th annual Black Heritage Education and Cultural Festival will be held February 8-10. The event celebrates the rich cultural history of the African-American community in Plant City. The event also raises scholarship funds for local students.
- Tampa Bay Academy of Hope, Tampa. The Tampa Bay Academy of Hope's mission is to make a difference in the lives of at-risk youth, adults, individuals, and their families by providing positive development programs in a safe, supportive, and structured environment. The Youth C5 – Achieving Core Talent Mentoring program serves at-risk adolescents aged 12 to 18 by nurturing "five C's" of positive youth development: character, competence, confidence, connection, and contribution. For more information, please visit: http://www.tampahope.org.
About Amscot Financial
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., Amscot Financial is a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, including check cashing, bill payment, money transfers, cash advances and money orders through its wholly owned division, Amscot International Money Order Company. Amscot also offers the Amscot Card, a pre-paid debit card that enables owners to make purchases from any location that accepts MasterCard™. Amscot Financial currently operates more than 200 retail financial service centers throughout Florida and employs more than 2,000 employees. Amscot Financial has been recognized by the Tampa Bay Business Journal as one of Tampa Bay's Best Places to Work for five years. For additional information, please visit the company's website at www.amscot.com.
SOURCE Amscot Financial