BOSTON, Jan. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- American Well, a leading telehealth services provider, today announced that Amwell, its consumer-facing mobile app for live, online doctor visits, is the #1 most downloaded telehealth app for the second year in a row. According to App Annie, a global leader in app analytics and app market data, Amwell was the most popular telehealth app of 2014 and 2015 in the U.S., based on combined iOS and Google Play downloads1.
Amwell is free to download from the Apple App Store or Google Play and gives people the ability to see a doctor of their choosing by video, in less than three minutes on average. Amwell offers access to U.S. board-certified and telehealth-trained doctors, psychotherapists and registered dietitians. Amwell can be accessed from a mobile device – including smartphones and tablets – or a desktop computer.
In addition to connecting people with doctors for high-quality medical care, telehealth apps like Amwell save people time and money. A recent Harvard Medical School study found the average total visit time for an in-person medical visit is 121 minutes, including 37 minutes of travel time and 84 minutes in the clinic waiting and filing paperwork. Of those 84 minutes, only 20 are spent face-to-face with the doctor. Translated into money, the total productivity cost of 121 minutes is about $43 lost to the individual.
This time spent traveling and waiting is in addition to the average 19 days wait for an in-person, scheduled doctor appointment.
"In other industries we are seeing the transformative power and rapid adoption of on-demand services. Apps like Uber, Netflix and TripAdvisor put consumers' wants and needs first. Healthcare should work the same way," said Dr. Roy Schoenberg, CEO and co-founder, American Well.
Added Dr. Schoenberg, "Amwell modernizes the delivery of healthcare by putting consumers at the center of their visit and placing the decision of when and where to see a doctor literally in the palm of their hand."
Amwell continues to be the top mobile app for online doctor visits by providing:
- A convenient, integrated service: Consumers can download Amwell at no cost, for a live, face-to-face consultation with a board-certified physician. Physicians on Amwell have access to consumers' health insurance information, medical images and preferred pharmacy for immediate prescribing if needed.
- Immediate access to care: Other telehealth services have a "call back" function that requires consumers to wait to hear back from an operator before being connected to an available doctor. Amwell offers immediate access to available doctors online – and average wait time for an online visit is 2-3 minutes.
- Provider choice: Consumers can see which doctors are available and choose an available doctor based on their profile information – which includes their photo, name, and area of specialization (such as women's health or children's health).
- Video-based visits: Unlike telephone-based telehealth services, consumers using Amwell can participate in a two-way video visit with a doctor that – much like FaceTime or Skype – is more conducive to evaluating more complex cases that require some physical or behavioral evaluation.
- Secure, private consults: Amwell is compliant with regulatory requirements like HIPAA that govern the secure transmission of patient health information online.
For more information on Amwell or to sign up for free and download the app, visit amwell.com. For general health information, telehealth tips and medical advice from real providers, visit the Amwell blog.
1The telehealth category as defined by American Well includes only apps that had live patient-doctor video visit functionality at the time of the download.
About American Well
American Well is transforming the way healthcare is delivered through telehealth. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We deliver healthcare into people's homes and workplaces through our work with top health plans, health systems and employers, as well as our telehealth app, Amwell. A patient using Amwell can be connected to a board-certified doctor of their choosing in just minutes for a visit carried out over smartphone, tablet, kiosk, phone, or desktop.
American Well and Amwell are registered trademarks or trademarks of American Well Corporation in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners. For more information on our services, visit www.americanwell.com. To download Amwell and have a doctor visit now, visit www.amwell.com.
617-204-3500 x. 3697
SOURCE American Well