Apartment Investment and Management Company Team Members Donate Their Time to Help Local Communities During National Week of Service
DENVER, Oct. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Hundreds of Apartment Investment and Management Company (Aimco) team members are reaching out to serve their neighbors as part of the company's national Aimco Cares Community Service Week October 21-25. This is the second week-long, team volunteer effort that Aimco has sponsored this year to help meet critical needs in local communities.
Aimco's Service Week projects include:
- Oct. 21: Aimco team members in Baltimore will prepare and pack meals to be delivered to individuals living with cancer and AIDS and who are unable to cook for themselves.
- Oct. 22: Denver team members will lend a hand at a Project Sanctuary retreat designed to help military families reunite after overseas duty. During the volunteer event, Aimco Chief Administrative Officer Miles Cortez will present Project Sanctuary with a check for $160,000 – a share of the proceeds from the Aimco Cares Charity Golf Classic in July. Also that day, an Aimco team in Nashville will help build a home for Habitat for Humanity, and Aimco Orlando team members will sort donations for the Second Harvest Food Bank.
- Oct. 23: Aimco Chairman and CEO Terry Considine will serve meals to families at the Ronald McDonald House in Aurora, Colorado. D.C. Area Aimco team members will gather and pack donations for the Capitol Area Food Bank's Northern Virginia warehouse, part of the team's week-long focus on combatting hunger. The Aimco Boston team will prepare and serve a meal to 150 homeless women living at Rosie's Place shelter. A team from Aimco's Philadelphia office will clean-up a vacant lot in West Philadelphia in partnership with Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell's Office.
- Oct. 24: A team from Aimco's Denver Office will work with Freedom Service Dogs of America, an organization that rescues dogs from shelters and trains them to assist persons with disabilities and returning military veterans. Aimco's Greenville Office will volunteer at the Safe Harbor domestic violence shelter. Phoenix team members will pack items donated to the St. Mary's Food Bank.
- Oct. 25: An Aimco team from Orange County, California, will partner with the Jessie Rees Foundation to stuff "JoyJars" with toys for children battling cancer.
Aimco Cares weeks are focal points for Aimco's philanthropic activities. Through the Aimco Cares program, each employee receives 10 paid hours per year to apply toward a volunteer activity.
"Giving back to our communities reflects Aimco's culture of Building Relationships and Creating Moments That Matter," said Terry Considine, Chairman and CEO of Aimco. "Our teams across the country have fostered strong partnerships with local nonprofit organizations and as a result, have improved the quality of life for countless individuals in need of a helping hand."
Aimco is a real estate investment trust that is focused on the ownership and management of quality apartment communities located in the largest markets in the United States. Aimco is one of the country's largest owners and operators of apartments, with 258 communities in 23 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Aimco common shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol AIV, and are included in the S&P 500. For more information about Aimco, please visit our website at www.aimco.com.