App Annie: Google Play Exceeds iOS App Store in App Downloads by 10 Percent in Second Quarter 2013; iOS App Store Still Generates 2.3x the Revenue
SAN FRANCISCO and BEIJING, July 31, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- App Annie today unveiled its second quarter 2013 Market Index along with its June Apps and Games Indices. Insights found in App Annie's Market, Games and Apps Indices are extracted from App Annie's premium market data product, App Annie Intelligence, to help those with an interest in the global app economy understand and seize market opportunities.
Second Quarter 2013 Market Index:
The Market Index provides a macro view of app store trends and helps to identify investment opportunities. The second quarter 2013 Index findings include:
- Google Play exceeded iOS App Store in app downloads by 10 percent in second quarter 2013: For the first time, Google Play had more downloads than the iOS App Store, but the iOS App Store still generated 2.3x the revenue.
- Second quarter Google Play downloads were driven by emerging markets: Brazil climbed two spots and joined India and Russia in the top five countries by downloads for Google Play.
- Music, Social Networking, Communications, Travel & Local categories continued momentum: The substantial growth of Music and Social Networking app categories helped drive iOS revenue. Communications apps surged to number two for Google Play downloads while the Travel & Local category climbed two spots to number five in the top categories by revenue for Google Play.
View the complete Second Quarter 2013 Market Index here: http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-market-q2-2013/.
June 2013 Games Index:
The App Annie Games Index brings the hottest mobile gaming properties across iOS and Google Play. Trends identified by the June Index include:
- Gameloft took top iOS downloads: Gameloft's Despicable Me: Minion Rush debuted as the most downloaded game and helped propel Gameloft to the top of the publisher download rankings. This surge in downloads was aided by another blockbuster-themed app, Iron Man 3 – The Official Game.
- Chinese publishers entered top download rankings: Tiny Piece, a children's game publisher based in China, became the top game publisher on Google Play by downloads, making it the first games publisher based in China to lead either the iOS App Store or Google Play by downloads in 2013.
View the complete June Games Index here: http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-games-june-2013/.
June 2013 Apps Index:
The App Annie Apps Index brings you the top-performing publishers and apps outside of games across both the iOS App Store and Google Play. Trends identified by the June Index include:
- Photo and video apps topped iOS downloads charts: Vine climbed three spots to overtake the number one non-game app rank by downloads. Vine was joined by YouTube at number two, Snapchat at number three and Instagram at number five to give photo & video apps four of the top five iOS apps by downloads for the second month in a row.
- Chinese publishers climbed rankings: Tencent and Baidu, joined Google and Apple to round out the top four publishers by non-game downloads in the iOS App Store. Tencent broke into the top five iOS App Store publishers by downloads in May 2013, and Baidu joined them in June's ranking.
- View the complete June Apps Index here: http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-apps-june-2013/.
For other timely research into the global app economy and to learn about App Annie's product suite, visit:
- Investor Spotlight
- E3 Special Report
- App Annie Store Stats
- App Annie Analytics
- App Annie Intelligence
About App Annie
App Annie is reinventing business intelligence products for the apps and digital goods economy. App Annie data and products are the industry standard, used by over 90 percent of the Top 100 grossing iOS publishers. More than 275,000 apps rely daily on App Annie Analytics to track their downloads, revenues, rankings and reviews. The company is tracking the most downloads and revenues of any app store market data company to date, with over 20 billion downloads, more than US$5.3 billion in app store revenues. App Annie is a privately held global company of more than 100 employees with offices in Beijing, San Francisco, Tokyo, London and Hong Kong. For more information, please visit http://www.appannie.com/, check out our blog, and follow @AppAnnie on Twitter.
SOURCE App Annie