Apperian Announces Industry's First Fully Extensible Dynamic Policy Engine For Enterprise Mobile Apps Industry's Most Robust Platform for Managing Mobile Apps Enables Companies to Create Their Own App and Compliance Policies Quickly and Easily
BOSTON, Feb. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Apperian, Inc., the leading platform for securing and managing enterprise mobile apps, today announced significant enhancements to its platform that enable customers and business partners to develop custom policies for enterprise mobile apps. Apperian's Dynamic App Policy Engine enables policies to be applied to mobile apps by invoking a set of rules and workflow that can govern when, where and how apps can be used and behave. These new capabilities integrate with corporate security policies to better ensure compliance and improve users' experience by bringing contextual awareness to corporate apps.
By opening Apperian's Dynamic App Policy Engine, Apperian enables customers and mobile solution providers to create custom mobile policies to meet their specific business needs. For example, changing the app's access or behavior can be automatically based on location, device status, user role, or other contextual information. These policies may be applied to apps by non-technical administrators using Apperian's patented app-wrapping capabilities, which require neither modification of the app's code nor use of a software development kit (SDK). Subsequent changes to existing policies may be applied in just a few clicks and will take place automatically. This means that policies can be instantly deployed without requiring the end user to download a new version of the app, which is an inconvenient process for users and one that exposes the company to compliance risks.
"Federal, state, & local agencies have very specific requirements for setting policies on applications, controlling privacy of the information, and limiting access based on Identity," said Mark Adams Director of Secure Mobility, Northrop Grumman Information Systems. "Northrop Grumman is working with Apperian and their open Dynamic App Policy Engine to analyze how this innovative product may be tailored for delivery of mobile app policies in secure environments. This should allow Apps to be deployed to meet specific mobile government user requirements. The kind of adaptability the Apperian product provides is important to ensure proper control and management of mobile applications in the secure enterprise."
Apperian is also announcing a set of new, out-of-the-box mobile app policies, including:
- Selective Data Wipe, enabling businesses to wipe data directly from corporate apps remotely, leaving the user's personal data and apps untouched. This new policy lets admins securely "reset" an app without requiring the end user to remove and reinstall the app - as well as remove corporate-owned data in the event an employee leaves the company or a device is lost/stolen – anytime, anywhere.
- App Expiration, letting enterprises set the exact lifespan of an app. Once the time expires, the app shuts down and is no longer accessible from the user's device.
- Self Update, or "silent app update," ensures that users are always on the most up-to-date version of their businesses' app and that users are always equipped with the latest apps and content - mitigating the use of outdated versions.
- App Usage Metrics, giving admins a clear understanding of end-user usage trends with clear visualizations that make it easy to understand, analyze and modify app functionality if needed to best support user and enterprise requirements.
- Location Services, leveraging geospatial data to change an app's behavior. For example, this may include geo-fencing to allow a business to define a specific geographic region where an app can or cannot be used. This could also include location masking to prevent specific devices from reporting location-based information to an app.
"We're thrilled to be the first to release this type of capability for enterprise mobility management," said Alan Murray, Apperian's senior vice president of product. "We allow enterprises to separate business policy from app logic and to leverage internal and external data sources to determine precisely how an app should behave. For the first time, an administrator can change the behavior of a security policy for an app dynamically and in real-time without having to recompile, re-sign, and re-deploy the app to hundreds or thousands of users. Without this dynamic and extensible flexibility, organizations would be limited to only predefined and rigid policies that expose security and compliance risks, hinder app adoption, or more likely, both."
For more information about Apperian's Dynamic App Policy Engine, please visit: http://www.apperian.com/mobile-application-management/app-wrapping/
Apperian is the industry pioneer for mobile application management and helps mobile enterprises deploy apps to their employees. The company's cloud-based platform offers a branded enterprise app catalog to users while providing a comprehensive management backend that helps IT professionals manage the full lifecycle of mobile apps and content. With a seamless user experience, Apperian protects and manages what matters most – the business apps and data – while driving the highest possible levels of app adoption. Leading enterprises are tapping Apperian to help them with enterprise mobility to get critical mobile apps in the hands of employees, contract workers and franchisees. The company has received numerous industry recognitions and was recently named one of the 'Top Places to Work' by the Boston Globe and one of the 'Top Private Companies' by AlwaysOn and OnMobile. Apperian was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in Boston with teams throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia. For more information please visit www.apperian.com or follow the company on Twitter at @Apperian.
SOURCE Apperian, Inc.