EWING, N.J., May 23, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Starting a new chapter in one's life can contribute to new stresses and challenges. For some, these "adulting" moments can include moving out on your own, paying rent and holding down a full-time job. In a new survey released today, the maker of ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda revealed that for 42% of Millennials, the word "adulting" is most associated with independence. Furthermore, "adulting" is an expressly Millennial concept, as 36% of Baby Boomers and 25% of Gen-Xers were not familiar with the term.
The Survey 1 asked 1,000 people about the stresses and challenges they faced when they first moved out on their own, as well as when they dealt with different first-time experiences. To that, a full 75% of people said they moved out of their parents' home between the ages of 18-22, with the average age skewing slightly younger with each generation.
Cleaning House: When they first moved out of their parents' home, Millennials revealed that they were least prepared to clean the bathroom (32%), outdoor spaces (25%) and kitchen (21%). Sixty-eight percent of Millennials also admitted to embracing do-it-yourself solutions to clean spaces in or around their homes, while a commanding 89% of people (and 92% of Millennials) prefer products that have numerous applications across their home.
"With this survey, we wanted to learn more about how people experience first-time challenges – from moving out and hosting events to having children – and about their solutions for these life moments," said Jennette Offenberg, Brand Manager, ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda. "What we've learned is that Millennials especially are looking for efficient, multipurpose solutions like Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, that can clean surfaces, keep spaces fresh, be used in recipes, and still be gentle on their skin."
Additional highlights from the survey include:
- Millennial Motivation: In a nod to their parents, 40% of Millennials admitted their biggest motivation for cleaning was that they were brought up that way, while 15% were motivated by family visiting as 12% were motivated by having a romantic partner over for the first time.
- Stress: When asked about stress, 43% of Millennials said they are stressed about paying their bills, while 23% are stressed about keeping their place clean.
- First-Time Hosting: When hosting their first event, Millennials are more stressed about their home looking messy (28%) than running out of food or drinks (9%). Overall, Millennials are more stressed than other generations about cleanliness, and less stressed about running out of food or drinks.
- What's that smell?: According to the survey, unwanted or unexpected smells are most encountered in the kitchen, with sinks/drains (62%), refrigerator/freezer (55%), sponges (44%), and under the sink (40%) coming out on top.
- Baby on Board: After having kids, 30% of new parents say they are more concerned about the products they use around the home, while 28% say they are cleaning more, and 21% are multi-tasking while they clean.
- Parental Stress: Aside from caring for their child, the biggest stresses for new parents include financial stability (34%), finding time to sleep/eat/bathe (15%), the health/safety of the family (14%), and balancing baby and work (12%).
- Makeup and Makeover: A 64% majority of women said they start wearing makeup during their teen years (13-17), while 1 in 10 admit to starting between ages 11-12. Notably, Millennials are starting to wear makeup slightly sooner than earlier generations.
- Real Men Wear Rogue: Interestingly, 26% of men admit that they wear makeup!
- Good Advice: If they could give their younger selves advice, 53% would say "save your money" while 21% would say "take time to thank your parents."
For more information about Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and the full family of Arm & Hammer products - including deodorizers, detergents, and personal care solutions, including nasal, oral and dental care - please visit www.armandhammer.com
About ARM & HAMMER™
For more than 170 years, ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda's familiar orange box has been a trusted fixture in both the refrigerator and home. The brand was founded in 1846 when Dr. Austin Church and John Dwight began to produce and sell sodium bicarbonate under the ARM & HAMMER™ brand name. Today, Church & Dwight, Co., Inc. manufactures a variety of cleaning, freshening and deodorizing products for the home, family, pets, and body under the iconic ARM & HAMMER™ brand name. For more information visit www.armandhammer.com.
About Church & Dwight Co., Inc.
Church & Dwight Co., Inc., headquartered in Ewing, NJ, manufactures and markets a wide range of personal care, household, and specialty products under the ARM & HAMMER™ brand name and other well-known trademarks like OxiClean™.
1 The Arm & Hammer™ Baking Soda "Adulting" Survey was commissioned by Church & Dwight Co., Inc, and conducted by OP4G among a nationally representative sample of 1,001 U.S. adults, specifically ages 18+ who have moved out of their parents' house, in March 2017.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/arm--hammer-baking-soda-reveals-the-hardest-parts-of-adulting-across-generations-300462022.html
SOURCE ARM & HAMMER