BOSTON, Feb. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With an expected audience of more than three billion viewers worldwide, new research by Arnold Worldwide shows that sponsor brands will benefit from the broad global audience as well as the integrity and authenticity of the Olympic Games brand.
Arnold Worldwide evaluated the Olympic Games brand value on a proprietary index of velocity that measures trust (in what the brand stands for) and dynamism (how the brand behaves).
"Among sports organization, the Olympics has high velocity-–more trusted than any other sports organization, with higher dynamism than all but the NFL," said Neela Pal, Global Director of Brand and Business Strategy. "Both the Olympics and other sports organizations are perceived as traditional and fun, however, the Olympics is also viewed as having integrity and being authentic. With advertising spend during the games expected to reach record levels, that's an important advantage for brands among this rare broad audience."
Benefits of Sponsorship
Olympic-sponsoring brands achieve trust through high-quality, consistency and reliability; and dynamism by speaking to broader personal and social values such as providing life balance, valuing sustainability, honesty, helping consumers feel good about themselves, and enabling self improvement.
The research shows that the top 3 benefits that sponsorship bestows on a brand are awareness, global impression, and leadership.
In addition, the agency conducted market research on audience engagement for The Sochi Games. The results showed that 82% of the population will (47%) or might (35%) follow the Sochi Olympics over the 17 days of competition.
Consumer Needs for The Games: Immediacy, Connectivity, Engagement
Olympic sponsoring brands can drive greater velocity by infusing attributes associated with other sports-sponsoring brands around innovation by addressing 3 key consumer needs:
Immediacy: The majority of Olympics followers want to experience the Olympics live
- 64% of the population who will/might follow the Olympics believe it's important to access Olympic content live, as it's happening.
- This is particularly true of 18-29 year olds, families, and households with incomes over $70k
- The content that is most relevant to those who follow the Olympics is:
- 56% of those who will/might follow the Olympics plan to consume sporting events
- 45% of those who will/might follow the Olympics plan to consume sports highlights
- 45% of those who will/might follow the Olympics plan to consume the opening ceremonies
Connectivity: While a television presence will be critical for Olympic-sponsoring brands, digital and mobile presences are equally important with 74% of Olympics followers using multiple devices simultaneously to consume Olympics content.
- 82% of those who will/might follow the Olympics will consume Olympic content on television
- However, 75% of those who will/might follow the Olympics will consume Olympic content on their laptop or desktop computers
- And 53% of those who will/might follow the Olympics will consume Olympic content on their smartphone or tablet
Engagement: Social sharing of Olympic Games content is on the rise with 41% of consumers more likely to share Olympic content during the Sochi Olympics than during the London Olympics
- 62% of consumers state that they will (31%) or might (31%) share content via social media
- 81% of those who will or might share content will use Facebook, but 36% plan to use YouTube, and 34% Twitter.
Archived Arnold Worldwide research reports available for download at: http://www.scribd.com/arnoldworldwide
Arnold Worldwide conducted an online survey of 400 U.S. respondents, aged 18+, between December 12 and 18, 2013. The survey sample was nationally representative.
About Arnold Worldwide
Arnold Worldwide is a global communications company delivering services across all communication touch points – advertising, digital, promotions, direct, design, and branded content. We are proud to represent a diverse portfolio of clients including ADT, Carnival Cruise Lines, CVS/pharmacy, Fidelity Investments, The Hershey Company, Huntington Bank, Jack Daniel 's, Kohler, Milk-Bone, New Balance, Ocean Spray, Progressive, PUR, Sanofi, Titleist, Tyson Foods, University of Phoenix and many other great brands. The agency is part of Havas Creative with offices in Boston, Lisbon, London, Madrid, Melbourne, Milan, Moscow, New York, Prague, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Sydney, Toronto and Washington DC.
SVP, Global Corporate Communications Director
+1 617 587 8131
SOURCE Arnold Worldwide