As the First Day of Summer Approaches, Edmunds.com Shares Five Summer Road Trip Survival Tips
SANTA MONICA, Calif., June 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Friday marks the official start of summer and the summer road trip season. But for many drivers, it might also evoke nightmares of traffic jams, breakdowns and minivan meltdowns by screaming children in the backseat. Edmunds.com, the premier resource for car shopping and automotive information, offers a few helpful tips to keep a peace of mind this summer and promote a safe and stress-free road trip.
Edmunds.com's Top 5 Tips to Survive a Road Trip are:
- Check the Car – Are your tires properly inflated? Do your oil and fluid levels need to be topped off? Is the AC working properly? If you need a tune-up you can find a repair shop in your area, or if you're really ambitious, Edmunds.com can help with do-it-yourself car maintenance tips.
- Cater to the Kids – Nothing can ruin a family road trip quite like a cranky kid. If your child sleeps well in a car, consider leaving at bedtime or during early morning hours. Bring healthy snacks and water – especially electrolyte water, which hydrates kids quickly and stays in the body longer (meaning fewer potty breaks). Edmunds.com has more kid-friendly driving tips with How to Survive a Road Trip with Kids.
- Pack Some Entertainment – No TVs built into the headrests? No problem. Portable DVD players are very affordable, and of course, passengers can always fire up movies or games on a laptop or tablet. Even if you don't pack the technology, there are still plenty of old-fashioned road trip games – like I Spy, 20 Questions and the Picnic Game - that the entire family can enjoy.
- Know Where You're Going – Even if your car isn't equipped with a navigation system, there is a wide variety of free navigation apps – such as Google Maps – available for your smartphone. No matter what app you use, Edmunds.com recommends that you choose one that offers real-time traffic information to avoid crippling backups. And it's never a bad idea to have paper maps on hand in case there are issues with your phone or its network connection.
- Keep Calm and Carry On – Whether it's the kids screaming behind you, or the jerk who just cut you off on the freeway, you never know when a flash of road rage will hit. The best way to avoid angry outbursts is to make sure you're rested. Get a good night's sleep before your trip, and for especially long road trips, take a break every two to three hours. Edmunds.com has more tips on coping with road rage at http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-tips-to-prevent-road-rage.html.
Edmunds.com suggests more road trip essentials this summer at http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/memorial-day-road-trip-essentials.html.
And for those who still need to find the perfect car to haul the family, Edmunds.com names its Top Ten Family Road Trip Vehicles at http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-family-road-trip-vehicles-for-2013.html.
About Edmunds.com, Inc.
Edmunds.com is a car-shopping Web site committed to helping people find the car that meets their every need. Almost 18 million visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next new or used car. Whether you're at the dealership or on the go, we're always by your side with our acclaimed Edmunds.com iPhone and iPad apps and our Edmunds.com Android App. Our comprehensive car reviews, shopping tips, photos, videos and feature stories offer a friendly and authentic approach to the automotive world. We're based in Santa Monica, Calif., but you can connect with us from anywhere by following @Edmunds on Twitter or by becoming a fan of Edmunds.com on Facebook.