ASAE Releases 'Associations Matter' Report in Support of Power of A Week, Annual Fly-In
WASHINGTON, March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Associations have a profound, measurable economic and social impact on the nation, according to ASAE's updated Associations Matter study, released today in support of The Power of A Week and American Associations Day, ASAE's annual legislative fly-in.
Associations Matter relies primarily on U.S. government statistics and tax-exempt returns (Form 990s) to measure the economic and social benefits derived from association activities. These statistics focus primarily on employment, wages, revenues, and assets. The report also documents the many contributions associations make to improve social conditions and Americans' collective quality of life.
- The number of trade and professional associations and charitable organizations has increased 3.4 percent since 2001.
- Membership organizations employed more than 1.2 million in 2009.
- Membership organizations generated a payroll of nearly $47 billion in 2010.
- Associations represent a major piece of the meetings and conventions industry in the United States. The meetings industry supports 1.7 million jobs and accounts for $263 billion in spending.
- Of the 63 million people who volunteered in the United States between September 2009 and September 2010, more than 18 million volunteered through a membership organization.
"This report does a wonderful job in providing a bigger picture about the impact associations have in keeping America competitive, improving the economy, providing opportunities for people to volunteer, and preparing our future leaders," said ASAE President and CEO John H. Graham IV, CAE. "This week, association professionals are coming together to advocate and raise awareness with policymakers about the role of associations and the issues that matter in our community. Associations Matter supports our advocacy goals by quantifying the association sector's contributions in a very compelling, credible fashion."
ASAE is hosting its annual The Power of A Week to draw attention to the different ways associations are advancing the economy and society. The highlight of this week is ASAE's annual legislative fly-in, March 14-15, with events throughout the week that showcase the benefits of associations. More than 500 association professionals are expected to take part in The Power of A Week. Here is a list of events:
- Tuesday, March 13: ASAE in partnership with Ogilvy Public Relations and the Congressional Management Foundation (CMF) will host a breakfast panel entitled "An Insider's Perspective on Telling Your Association's Story to Capitol Hill." The panel will be moderated by CMF's President Brad Fitch and have staff from Congressional offices. Attendees will hear about the best way to work with Congressional offices and convey their messages to Capitol Hill.
- Wednesday, March 14: American Associations Day education sessions and presentation of ASAE's Sentinel Award to Congressman Jim Moran (D-VA) for leading a congressional effort to modify the administration's draft rule restricting government employees from attending trade association education programs. .
- Thursday, March 15: American Associations Day 2012.
- Friday, March 16: ASAE Career HQ will hold an event called "Why Associations Matter." The program is an opportunity for people interested in association work to hear from CEOs and association hiring experts on what it's like working for an association and the skills and experiences people should emphasize when applying to work at an association. This program builds off the Power of A Associations Matter data detailing the large impact association jobs play in the private sector.
For more information about Power of A Week, visit ThePowerofA.org.
About ASAE: The Center for Association Leadership
ASAE is a membership organization of more than 21,000 association executives and industry partners representing 10,000 organizations. Its members manage leading trade associations, individual membership societies and voluntary organizations across the United States and in nearly 50 countries around the world. With support of the ASAE Foundation, a separate nonprofit entity, ASAE is the premier source of learning, knowledge and future-oriented research for the association and nonprofit profession, and provides resources, education, ideas and advocacy to enhance the power and performance of the association and nonprofit community. For more information about ASAE, visit www.asaecenter.org
More by this Source
ASAE Debuts New Diversity + Inclusion Benchmarking Tool for Association Management
Apr 22, 2013, 08:45 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.