Atlanta Plastic Surgeons Cite Top 5 Reasons to Seek a Facelift
Surgical approaches can be adapted to treat five primary characteristics of an aging face, say the plastic surgeons at Advanced Aesthetics, PC
ATLANTA, Nov. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Facelift surgeries are based on five major categories of patient concern, say the board-certified plastic surgeons at Advanced Aesthetics, PC. These issues can be addressed through variations of the facelift procedure.
While patients might state that they simply "look older," the changes that prompt a surgical approach are as follows:
1. Loss of muscle tone and skin elasticity in the face and neck
2. Jowls and deep creases around the nose and mouth
3. Deep wrinkles of the neck and face
4. Tired appearance
5. Less defined chin and sagging neck
The goal of a facelift is to tighten the skin of the face from the eyes down to the neck, lifting it into a more youthful position. Depending on the severity of the five aspects listed above, a customized surgical plan is developed to rejuvenate the face and neck. Although facelift terminology varies from surgeon to surgeon, general approaches include the following types of facelifts:
- Standard facelift. A standard (or full) facelift is suggested if all five reasons to have a facelift are present, including obvious sagging and noticeable jowls. This approach most aggressively addresses all concerns by removing excess skin; tightening the connective tissues and muscles in the face and neck; and lifting and repositioning the skin. The incisions are hidden in the contour of the ear, around the earlobe, and in the hairline. A small incision under the chin might be included if excess fatty tissue needs to be removed and if the muscle in the neck requires additional smoothing.
- Mini facelift. If the primary concern is mild loss of muscle tone and skin elasticity along with a tired appearance, a mini-facelift may be the appropriate procedure. This approach tightens and lifts the skin but includes limited or no work on the neck or musculature and is intended to address minimal signs of aging. Because the incisions are shorter than in a standard facelift, this technique usually has a shorter recovery period. This approach is generally better suited for younger patients with minimal skin laxity.
- Short scar facelift. This variation of the mini facelift, technically called an Extended Minimal Access Cranial Suspension (Extended MACS) Lift, is appropriate if mild or moderate skin laxity and jowling are present. It addresses the face only -- not the neck -- and lifts the face vertically, not to the back. It leaves fewer scars and is less invasive to the face as a whole.
A number of the above rejuvenating approaches may be considered for an individual, depending on how much improvement is desired and the surgeon's preferences. Thus it is important that the surgeon fully understand the patient's primary concerns. An in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon allows the doctor to recommend appropriate techniques and help the patient decide on the best facelift procedure to address individual concerns.
About Advanced Aesthetics, PC: Advanced Aesthetics is one of the most successful Atlanta-area cosmetic surgery practices, with offices in four south Atlanta locations: Fayetteville, LaGrange, McDonough, and Newnan. Advanced Aesthetics and Truffles MediSpa share the building at One Prestige Park, 874 West Lanier Avenue, Suite 100, Fayetteville, GA 30214. They can be reached by phone at 770-461-4000 or at http://www.plasticsurgerycorner.com.
Media Contact: Dr. Paul Feldman , Advanced Aesthetics, PC, 770-461-4000, http://www.plasticsurgerycorner.com
This press release was issued through eReleases® Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit http://www.ereleases.com.
SOURCE Advanced Aesthetics, PC
More by this Source
Who Knew? Trivia Facts About Breasts
Mar 01, 2013, 08:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.