Atmel maXTouch E Series Powers Samsung's Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab 7.7 Touchscreens Worldwide shipments of industry-leading maXTouch E Series controllers surpass 15 million units
SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Atmel® Corporation (NASDAQ: ATML), a leader in microcontroller and touch solutions, today announced that Samsung Electronics has selected devices in the maXTouch® E Series to power touchscreens in several flagship smartphones and tablets for 2011. Following the success of the Ultra-Slim Galaxy Tab 10.1 powered by the Atmel mXT1386, Samsung has announced several other products using the Atmel maXTouch E Series:
- Samsung launched the Galaxy Note, a revolutionary device that combines a large and immersive screen with smartphone portability, at IFA 2011. The Galaxy Note's 5.3-inch 1280x800 HD Super AMOLED display is paired with the equally impressive Atmel mXT540E, whose high-node density and 32-bit processing power enables high-resolution touch sensing and advanced signal processing. This is exemplified by the new full-screen gestures that enable the consumer to use the edge of the hand or the palm to interact with the Galaxy Note.
- Samsung also launched the Galaxy Tab 7.7, an ultra-thin tablet with a Super AMOLED Plus display, at IFA 2011 which is powered by the Atmel mXT768E controller in an on-cell touchscreen implementation.
- Samsung selected the Atmel mXT224E for the Galaxy S II, a ground-breaking smartphone that has won critical acclaim and shattered sales records. With an on-cell touchscreen implementation on a Super AMOLED Plus display, the Galaxy S II combines power with an ultra-slim form factor.
Since their introduction in February 2011, the maXTouch E Series capacitive touchscreen controllers have shipped more than 15 million units worldwide. Atmel maXTouch E Series includes:
- The mXT224E – the market-leading touchscreen controller for smartphones up to 4.3 inches
- The mXT384E – the industry's first 32-bit touchscreen controller for smartphones 4.5 inches and larger
- The mXT540E – a high-performance 32-bit touchscreen controller for medium-sized tablets
- The mXT768E – the industry's first 32-bit single-chip touchscreen controller for tablets up to 12 inches
The maXTouch E Series controllers, with their enhanced analog sensing capability, deliver market-leading noise immunity, support for advanced ultra-thin touchscreen stacks, 2mm thin passive stylus, and the ability to address a broad range of screen sizes. In addition, these controllers provide the fast responsiveness, extended battery life, and moisture resistance that consumers have come to expect from mobile products that use maXTouch. As a result, OEMs worldwide are rapidly adopting the maXTouch E Series devices in their designs, making this one of the fastest product ramps in Atmel's history.
"Atmel maXTouch technology continues to be the leading touch solution on the market today," said Jon Kiachian, senior director of touch marketing, Atmel Corporation. "The adoption of the maXTouch E Series far surpasses that of the original maXTouch family and has exceeded our expectations. With the E Series, Atmel continues to secure key design wins and strengthen its leadership position with customers."
For more information, visit www.atmel.com/products/touchscreens. To see Atmel's latest maXTouch videos, visit the Atmel YouTube Channel at www.atmel.com/youtube or follow Atmel on Twitter www.atmel.com/twitter.
Atmel Corporation (NASDAQ: ATML) is a worldwide leader in the design and manufacture of microcontrollers, capacitive touch solutions, advanced logic, mixed-signal, nonvolatile memory and radio frequency (RF) components. Leveraging one of the industry's broadest intellectual property (IP) technology portfolios, Atmel is able to provide the electronics industry with complete system solutions focused on industrial, consumer, communications, computing and automotive markets.
©2011 Atmel Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Atmel®, Atmel logo and combinations thereof, maXTouch® and others are registered trademarks or trademarks of Atmel Corporation or its subsidiaries. Other terms and product names may be trademarks of others.
Agnes Toan, PR Manager
Tel: (+1) 408-487-2963, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Atmel Corporation