DELMAR, N.Y., Aug. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T* has expanded the nation's fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network** in areas of Albany County, bringing more customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. The expansion extends AT&T's 4G LTE blazing-fast network already available in parts of Albany to more consumers and businesses and is part of AT&T's ongoing rollout across New York State.
New areas of AT&T 4G LTE coverage include;
- The hamlet of Delmar in the town of Bethlehem and on Delmar Avenue (Route 443) between Albany and Delmar.
- Glenmont, New York State Thruway (Interstate 90) at exit 23 (Albany), Southern Boulevard (Route 9W), Bethlehem Center, New York State Thruway between exit 22 (Selkirk) and exit 23 (Interstate-787) and on Route 144 near the Hudson River.
- Guilderland, Western Avenue (Route 20), Nott Road Town Park, State Farm Road (Route 155) and between Guilderland and Voorheesville.
- Voorheesville, New Scotland and New Salem, New Scotland Town Park and New Scotland Road (Route 85).
- Intersection of the New York State Thruway and the Northway (Interstate 87) at exit 24 (Rensselaer Lake) in Albany.
Elsewhere in upstate New York, AT&T has upgraded the network to 4G LTE in areas of Buffalo, Batavia, Rochester, Syracuse, Auburn, Seneca Falls, Cortland, Ithaca, Binghamton, Saratoga Springs and Watertown.
Watch here to see several of the benefits AT&T 4G LTE provides, including:
- Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering mobile Internet speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G***. Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.
- Reliability. AT&T not only has the nation's fastest 4G LTE network, but now also has the most reliable 4G LTE network. According to independent third-party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks.
- Cool new devices. AT&T offers several LTE-compatible devices, including new AT&T 4G LTE smartphones and tablets.
- Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency, or the processing time it takes to move data through a network, such as how long it takes to start downloading a webpage or file once you've sent the request. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.
- More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than other technologies, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
"We've seen positive response from customers on our 4G LTE launch, and as today's expansion shows, we're continuing our rollout of fast 4G LTE speeds to more areas of New York," said Marissa Shorenstein, New York President, AT&T.
AT&T's 4G Network
This expansion is part of AT&T's Project Velocity IP (VIP), a three-year investment plan announced last fall to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks. Through this investment, AT&T is supporting its customers' growing desire for high-speed Internet access and new mobile, app and cloud-based services. As part of Project VIP, AT&T plans to add more than 10,000 macro cell sites nationwide by year-end 2015, as well as deploy more than 40,000 small cells and add more than 1,000 Distributed Antenna Systems to increase the density of its wireless network.
AT&T's innovation and investment have resulted in a nationwide 4G network with ultra-fast speeds and a consistent user experience. The great performance of AT&T's fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network continues to be validated by independent third-party testing:
- Our 4G LTE service was recognized as having faster average download and upload speeds than any of our competitors in PCWorld/TechHive's most recent 20-market speed tests — the second consecutive year that AT&T has ranked first overall. PCWorld/TechHive also ranked AT&T's as the fastest combination of 3G and 4G services in the 20 cities it tested.****
- And AT&T was named America's fastest 4G LTE network in PC Magazine's 2013 Fastest Mobile Networks 30-market study — and also swept the top rankings in all six U.S. regions from coast to coast: Northeast, Southeast, North-Central, South-Central, Northwest and Southwest.*****
Even as AT&T continues to expand its 4G LTE coverage, customers can get 4G speeds outside of 4G LTE areas on our 4G HSPA+ network, unlike some competitors, where smartphone customers may fall back to slower 3G technologies when outside of LTE coverage.
AT&T's focus to deliver the best possible mobile Internet experience goes beyond 4G to embrace additional connection technologies. AT&T operates the nation's largest Wi-Fi network****** including more than 32,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots at popular restaurants, hotels, bookstores and retailers, and provides access to more than 402,000 hotspots globally through roaming agreements. Most AT&T smartphone customers get access to our entire national Wi-Fi network at no additional cost, and Wi-Fi usage doesn't count against customers' monthly wireless data plans.
AT&T also is a leading developer of Distributed Antenna Systems, which utilize multiple small antennas to maximize coverage and speed within stadiums, convention centers, office buildings, hotels and other areas where traditional coverage methods are challenging.
In the first half of 2013, AT&T invested nearly $225 million in its wireless and wired networks in New York. The 2013 year-to-date network investment builds on more than $1.4 billion that AT&T has invested in its New York wireless and wired networks from 2010 through 2012.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** Limited 4G LTE availability in select markets. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Speed claim based on a comparison of U.S. national carriers' average 4G LTE download speeds for Android™ and Windows smartphones and iPhone 5. Reliability claim compares data transfer completion rates on nationwide 4G LTE networks. 4G speeds not available everywhere.
*** 4G LTE device and data plan required. Up to 10x claim compares 4G LTE download speeds to industry average 3G download speeds. Learn more about 4G LTE at att.com/network.
**** PCWorld/TechHive, May 23, 2013, "AT&T clocks best overall speeds with 3G/4G combo"
***** PC Magazine, June 17, 2013; http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420333,00.asp
****** A Wi-Fi enabled device required. Other restrictions apply. See www.attwifi.com for details and locations.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T │DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2013 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
Cautionary Language Concerning Forward-Looking Statements Information set forth in this press release contains financial estimates and other forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and actual results might differ materially. A discussion of factors that may affect future results is contained in AT&T's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. AT&T disclaims any obligation to update and revise statements contained in this news release based on new information or otherwise.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.