AUA Announces 2013 Annual Award Winners
Awards Recognize Top Urologists, Honor Service to Specialty and Society
LINTHICUM, Md., Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Urological Association today announced the list of 2013 award recipients who will be honored at the Association's upcoming Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA this May. These physician researchers and educators are being honored for their contributions to the field of medicine, the specialty of urology, and the AUA.
The following awards will be presented:
Ramon Guiteras Award: The Ramon Guiteras Award is presented annually to an individual who is deemed to have made outstanding contributions to the art and science of urology. Jean B. deKernion, MD, will receive this award for pioneering and innovative research in urologic oncology, and excellence in education and fellowship training.
Hugh Hampton Young Award: The Hugh Hampton Young Award is presented annually to an individual for outstanding contributions to the study of genitourinary tract disease. Dean G. Assimos , MD, will receive this award for an outstanding career in research, and excellence in the treatment of complex renal stone disease.
Gold Cystoscope Award: The Gold Cystoscope Award is presented annually to a urologist distinguished by outstanding contributions to the profession within 13 years of completing residency training. Dipen J. Parekh , MD, MCh, will receive this award for excellence in establishing programs in urologic oncology and robotic surgery and outstanding contributions in transformative research.
Lifetime Achievement Award: The Lifetime Achievement Award is presented annually to an individual who has been deemed to have made outstanding contributions to advance the mission and goals of the AUA. Martin I. Resnick , MD, will receive this award posthumously for visionary long-term strategic planning with AUA's corporate reorganization and exceptional contributions as AUA Secretary, SUS President and Editor of The Journal of Urology®.
Eugene Fuller Triennial Prostate Award: The Eugene Fuller Triennial Prostate Award is presented once every three years to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the study of the prostate gland and its associated diseases. Martin E. Gleave , MD, will receive this award for outstanding contributions in mediating treatment resistance in cancer by creating conditional lethality to improve cancer control.
Victor A. Politano Award: The Victor A. Politano Award is presented annually to an individual for outstanding research and work in the field of incontinence and for enhancing the treatment of incontinent patients, thereby helping to improve their quality of life. Toby C. Chai , MD, will receive this award for outstanding work in the treatment of urinary incontinence and innovations in bladder research.
William P. Didusch Art and History Award: The William P. Didusch Art and History Award promotes and recognizes contributions to urological art, including, but not limited to, illustrations, sculpture, still photography, motion pictures and television productions. Harry C. Miller Jr. , MD, will receive this award for outstanding contributions to the written and photographic history of urology.
Distinguished Contribution Award: The Distinguished Contribution Awards are presented annually to individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the science and practice of urology, including, but not limited to, contributions made in a sub-specialty area, for military career service or for humanitarian efforts. The following individuals will receive this award:
- Hector H. Henry II , MD, for over 40 years of outstanding contributions to urology as an officer of the United States Army Medical Corps, for community outreach and leadership in the AUA Southeastern Section.
- Richard J. Macchia , MD, for outstanding dedication to urologic education and career development of medical students and urology residents.
Distinguished Service Awards: The Distinguished Service Awards are presented annually to individuals who are deemed to have made outstanding contributions to the goals of the AUA. The following individuals will receive this award:
- Brendan M. Fox , MD, for outstanding contributions in long-term strategic planning, in integrating AUA's Foundation and excellent service as Historian, President and mentor.
- Michele Paoli , for extraordinary effort in the administrative management of the Endourological Society and the AUA New York Section.
- Ronald Rabinowitz , MD, for over 35 years of leadership and service to the AUA on committees and governance, strengthening AUA/ABU exams processes, and unique contributions to AUA's history and archives.
Gold Cane Award: The Gold Cane Award is presented to a senior urologist distinguished by outstanding contributions to the profession and to the AUA. Pablo A. Morales , MD, will receive this award for lifetime of dedication as a teacher, a mentor training a generation of young urologists, a founding editor of Urology and an outstanding urologist.
Presidential Citations: Presidential Citations are presented to individuals deemed to have significantly promoted the cause of urology during a specific period of time. Each recipient is chosen by the AUA President. Presidential Citations will be presented to honor the following individuals:
- Mark P. Campobello , CPA, for outstanding leadership as the chief financial officer and over 17 years of service to the AUA.
- Kathleen C. Kobashi , MD, for outstanding contributions in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgical techniques.
- Charles F. McKiel Jr. , MD, for outstanding contributions in AUA's strategic planning and excellent service as AUA president.
- Edward M. Messing , MD, for outstanding contributions in bladder cancer research and excellent service as an educator.
- Ajay Nehra , MD, for outstanding achievements in Men's Health awareness and contributions to international educational activities in India and Saudi Arabia.
- Howard M. Snyder III , MD, for outstanding contributions in reconstructive pediatric urology and the treatment of hypospadias.
About the American Urological Association: Founded in 1902 and headquartered near Baltimore, Maryland, the American Urological Association is a leading advocate for the specialty of urology, and has more than 19,000 members throughout the world. The AUA is a premier urologic association, providing invaluable support to the urologic community as it pursues its mission of fostering the highest standards of urologic care through education, research and the formulation of health policy.
MEDIA CONTACTS: AUA Media Relations: 410-689-3932
Wendy Waldsachs Isett (cell): 410-977-4770
SOURCE American Urological Association
More by this Source
AUA To Deliver Testimony On Urotrauma Before House VA Subcommittee On Health
May 21, 2013, 09:47 ET
ASTRO and AUA Issue Joint Guideline for Radiation Therapy After Prostatectomy
May 07, 2013, 00:00 ET
Majority of Men Do Not Treat Their Erectile Dysfunction
May 06, 2013, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.