Findings from the report also show an increase in the percentage of prime consumers who shifted to the used vehicle market. In fact, prime borrowers elected to purchase a used vehicle more than 54 percent of the time in Q1 2016, a 4.8 percent increase from the previous year.
However, the opposite is true for the new vehicle finance market. While the percentage of subprime borrowers in the total loan market decreased 1.1 percent, the percentage of subprime borrowers for new vehicles saw a 5.5 percent increase from a year ago.
"The record highs we have seen in vehicle prices also have had a significant impact on the loan market," continued Zabritski. "For example, the number of prime borrowers who switched to leasing has driven an increase in the percentage of subprime borrowers shown in the new vehicle segment. As a result, we will continue to see consumers view used vehicles, longer-term loans and leasing as a way to keep payments affordable."
The shifts in risk tier distribution for new and used vehicles also is reflected in average credit scores. The average credit score for a new vehicle loan was 710, down three points from the previous year, while the average credit score for a used vehicle loan was up three points to 645.
Additional insights from the Q1 2016 report:
- The percentage of new vehicles financed was 86.3 percent, up 1.6 percent from a year ago.
- The average loan amount for a new vehicle reached $30,032, an all-time high, while the average loan amounts for used vehicles were $20,723 (franchise dealers) and $16,124 (independent dealers) — both Q1 highs.
- The average loan terms for new vehicles, used vehicles from franchise dealers and used vehicles from independent dealers all increased by one month, reaching 68, 66 and 58 months, respectively.
- The average interest rates were 4.79 percent for a new vehicle loan, 7.81 percent for a used vehicle loan at a franchise dealer and 12.22 percent for a used vehicle loan at an independent dealer.
- Average monthly payments for new vehicle loans reached an all-time high — $503. Average monthly payments for used vehicle loans were $376 at a franchise dealer and $351 at an independent dealer.
About Experian Automotive
Experian Automotive provides information services and market intelligence that enables results-driven professionals to gain the fullest possible understanding of the market, the vehicles and the people who buy them. Its North American Vehicle DatabaseSM houses data on nearly 700 million vehicles and, when combined with Experian's credit, consumer and business information, provides an integrated perspective into the automotive marketplace. Experian Automotive's AutoCheck® vehicle history reports provide dealers and consumers with in-depth information, allowing them to confidently understand, compare and select the right vehicles. For more information on Experian Automotive and its suite of services, visit our Website at http://www.experian.com/automotive.
We are the leading global information services company, providing data and analytical tools to our clients around the world. We help businesses to manage credit risk, prevent fraud, target marketing offers and automate decision making. We also help people to check their credit report and credit score and protect against identity theft. In 2015, we were named one of the "World's Most Innovative Companies" by Forbes magazine.
We employ approximately 17,000 people in 37 countries and our corporate headquarters are in Dublin, Ireland, with operational headquarters in Nottingham, UK; California, US; and São Paulo, Brazil.
Experian plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange (EXPN) and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index. Total revenue for the year ended March 31, 2016, was US$4.6 billion.
To find out more about our company, please visit http://www.experianplc.com or watch our documentary, "Inside Experian."
Experian and the Experian marks used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of Experian Information Solutions, Inc. Other product and company names mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.
Experian Public Relations
1 714 830 5578
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130131/LA51658LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/auto-leasing-hits-highest-level-surpassing-30-percent-of-all-new-vehicle-transactions-300278453.html