ATLANTA, June 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Summer days may mean fun in the sun, but the heat and ultraviolet rays can cause significant damage to a vehicle and cost a lot of money if you don't keep things in check. June is National Safety Month, which serves as a good reminder to do some summer car care before the hot days get underway. A thorough inspection of your vehicle will give you peace of mind and help make your road travel safer, so the experienced editors at Autotrader are sharing their top tips to protect your car from the stress of summer heat.
"Cars are designed to work properly under all conditions, but heat is a big enemy of vehicles," said Brian Moody, executive editor at Autotrader. "It's important to treat your car with care and get it ready for summer—whether you do it yourself or visit a professional mechanic. Regular maintenance will help you avoid much higher service costs down the road and loss of resale value."
As you adjust to the warmer weather, check out these top tips from the professionals at Autotrader to keep your ride rolling. If in doubt, consult a qualified technician:
- Protect yourself and your passengers. It's hot out there. Everyone should stay hydrated, and keep them cool by running the air conditioning and parking your vehicle in the shade when possible. Make safety a priority and always wear a seatbelt.
- Avoid an engine meltdown. Staying cool is paramount, not just for ourselves but also for our cars. In addition to checking the level of coolant fluid in your car, also inspect the state of the hoses and the coolant reservoir. Keep an eye out for leaks, especially at joints and connection points, such as where a hose connects to the engine block. Routine checks and fluid changes at scheduled intervals can help prevent costly repairs.
- Replace old wiper blades. Sudden summer thunderstorms are the wrong time to discover that your wiper blades are shot. Driving decisions are based on visibility, and worn wipers can create nasty streaks across the windshield, affecting your view of the road. Replacing them doesn't cost much but can be a tricky operation. Check to see if your dealership or auto parts store includes free installation with purchase.
- Maintain proper tire pressure. Tire pressure should be checked regularly all year round, but particularly with major temperature changes. Tire pressure increases as the temperature rises, which could cause tread wear issues and the vehicle to brake and handle poorly. Pressure information can be found in your vehicle's manual, on the inside of the fuel door or on the door jamb of the driver's door.
- Stay cool with a dashboard sunshade. Summer sun can cause cosmetic damage to your car and make it harder to cool off inside when it's time to drive. For those times when your car is parked out in the sun, a cover that goes in the windshield will protect the dashboard against ultraviolet rays and help the cabin stay a little cooler. Sunshades also help prevent the interior from fading over time.
Beat the heat by following these basic maintenance procedures to ensure your vehicle is running at peak performance for the summer driving season. Remember, it's far better to do preventative maintenance than to have an emergency repair while you're out on the road. For more car safety tips and information, visit "10 Simple Summer Car Care Tips."
Autotrader is the most visited third-party car shopping site, with the most engaged audience of in-market shoppers. As the foremost authority on automotive consumer insights and expert in online and mobile marketing, Autotrader makes the car shopping experience easy and fun for today's empowered consumer looking to find or sell the perfect new, used or Certified Pre-Owned car. Using technology, shopper insights and local market guidance, Autotrader's comprehensive marketing solutions guide dealers to personalized digital marketing strategies that grow brand, drive traffic and connect the online and in-store shopping experience.
Autotrader is a Cox Automotive™ brand. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises. For more information, please visit http://press.autotrader.com.
About Cox Automotive
Cox Automotive Inc. is transforming the way the world buys, sells and owns cars with industry-leading digital marketing, software, financial, wholesale and e-commerce solutions for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and the overall automotive ecosystem worldwide. Committed to open choice and dedicated to strong partnerships, the Cox Automotive family includes Autotrader®, Dealer.com®, Dealertrack®, Kelley Blue Book®, Manheim®, NextGear Capital®, vAuto®, Xtime® and a host of other brands. The global company has nearly 30,000 team members in more than 200 locations and is partner to more than 40,000 auto dealers, as well as most major automobile manufacturers, while engaging U.S. consumer car buyers with the most recognized media brands in the industry. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, Inc., an Atlanta-based company with revenues of $18 billion and approximately 55,000 employees. Cox Enterprises' other major operating subsidiaries include Cox Communications and Cox Media Group. For more information about Cox Automotive, visit www.coxautoinc.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/autotrader-editors-provide-expert-advice-for-summer-car-care-300277407.html