AVG Participates in Panel at pii2013 To Debate Consumer Privacy, Trust and Choice in the Digital Age
AVG research indicates 69 percent of consumers worldwide believe technology will become more invasive
AMSTERDAM and SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AVG Technologies N.V. (NYSE: AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security, privacy and optimization to 155 million active users, today announces Jim Brock, VP Privacy Products at AVG, will be participating in a panel discussion on Wednesday 18 September at the fourth annual Privacy Identity Innovation Conference 2013 (pii2013), on the topic 'The business of privacy: enabling consumers to control their digital footprint'. AVG is a platinum sponsor of the conference, which takes place 16-18th September in Seattle, United States.
AVG will be joining speakers from the technology, government and non-profit sectors to explore the event's theme 'Building trust in the data-driven economy'. In addition to participating in the panel debate, Jim Brock will provide an overview of AVG's approach to helping its customers manage their online profiles, share some findings from recent AVG research which provide context for consumer attitudes to privacy, and showcase the new AVG PrivacyFix™ free application for PC, mobile and tablet.
In the last year, AVG has focused on augmenting its privacy offerings to customers. Having been the first internet security company in 2012 to offer an active Do Not Track feature as standard in its product line, AVG has built on this with the acquisition of leading online privacy organization, PrivacyChoice, in May this year and its flagship consumer PrivacyFix browser plugin.
The new AVG PrivacyFix application was launched at the start of September as a key component of AVG's 2014 product portfolio, and has been expanded to be available for smartphones and tablets as well as computers. In addition, AVG also just launched AVG CrowdControl, a privacy app that allows people to manage who sees their default Facebook posts.
"This will be my third year at pii, which comes amid growing concern about the ability of the individuals to control their data. The recent whistleblower revelations around the National Security Agency's (NSA) and the UK Government's Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) activities have brought privacy front and center, with 46 percent of respondents in our recent survey reporting that the story has made them more concerned about their personal privacy. Another 46 percent said they felt less trusting that companies are keeping their personal data in a secure manner," said Jim Brock, VP, Privacy Products, AVG Technologies. "Our products are aimed to restore this lost peace of mind, through apps that work across mobile devices, browsers and Facebook itself, and we will be relentless in delivering services that provide people with true control over their data, and therefore their digital destiny."
About new AVG PrivacyFix
AVG PrivacyFix is a free application that puts control of a consumer's personal online privacy back in their hands. Available for PC, mobile and tablet, it allows people to check, manage and personalize their privacy settings across popular sites such as Facebook®, Google®, LinkedIn®, and across websites in general, all from one easy-to-use central control panel. Key features include:
- A personal privacy dashboard, available when you want it, on your phone, tablet, and computer.
- The ability to keep your privacy up to date, as PrivacyFix lets you know when settings change or new settings need review.
- A warning feature that alerts you before you give your Facebook data to Facebook apps that don't provide privacy assurances.
- Keeping loved ones private by showing you when their Facebook profiles may be exposed.
- Information that helps you understand who's collecting data about you and what your data may be worth to Facebook and Google.
- Follow Jim Brock at his blog and on Twitter @privacychoice: http://blogs.avg.com/author/jim-brock/
- Follow Siobhan MacDermott, AVG's Chief Policy Officer, on Twitter @AVGLittleBird and at: http://blogs.avg.com/author/siobhan-macdermott/ and www.wideopenprivacy.com
- Download our free eBooks:
- An Online Safety Guide for Parents: http://www.avg.com/ebooks/guide-for-parents
- A Baby Boomer's Guide to Facebook: http://www.avg.com/ebooks/baby-boomers-guide-to-facebook#.UjNGF2VwbIU
- Find out more about AVG PrivacyFix: http://www.avg.com/gb-en/privacyfix
- Download AVG PrivacyFix application for PC, mobile and tablet:
- Hear Jim Brock talk about privacy and the digital world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLLTnYxgng&feature=youtu.be
About AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG)
AVG's mission is to simplify, optimize and secure the Internet experience, providing peace of mind to a connected world. AVG's powerful yet easy-to-use software and online services put users in control of their Internet experience. By choosing AVG's software and services, users become part of a trusted global community that benefits from inherent network effects, mutual protection and support. AVG has grown its user base to 155 million active users as of June 30, 2013 and offers a product portfolio that targets the consumer and small business markets and includes Internet security, PC performance optimization, online backup, mobile security, identity protection and family safety software.
Keep in touch with AVG
- For breaking news, follow AVG on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AVGfree
- Join our Facebook community at www.facebook.com/AVG
- Join our LinkedIn community at www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2719797
SOURCE AVG Technologies
More by this Source
AVG Technologies Highlights Importance of Security for People in their "Connected Cars"
Mar 06, 2014, 09:08 ET
AVG Technologies to Host Analyst Day March 13, 2014 in New York City
Mar 04, 2014, 07:05 ET
AVG Technologies to Present at Upcoming Conferences
Mar 03, 2014, 16:15 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.