DENVER, Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ShopAtHome.com, the largest coupon search engine that connects upwards of 12 million consumers each month to the best deals and cash back savings, today released the results of 'Avoiding the Valentine's Day Doghouse'. A survey of ShopAtHome.com's 4.3 million Facebook fans unlocked keys to surviving this oftentimes stress-filled holiday.
"Valentine's Day is one of those high-pressure holidays. The stakes of finding the perfect gift are high, and that can be problematic when disposable income is low," said Marc Braunstein, co-founder and CEO of ShopAtHome.com. "Fortunately, we have ways to save through coupons and cash back on traditional gifts like jewelry and chocolates, but also local deals on restaurants and activities."
Avoiding the Doghouse
The study found that, while love may be in the air, many don't believe their significant other will succeed in making the holiday successful. While 69 percent of females plan 1-3 weeks in advance, 56 percent of females expect their significant other will plan two or less days beforehand. And, that's not the only major miss:
- Gee, thanks honey…
- 23 percent of ladies are looking for a romantic night out on the town, but 38 percent believe what they'll actually receive is a gift that appears last-minute.
- Practical gifts may not be in your best interest. "He bought me a household appliance. I needed it, but not on Valentine's Day. He was in the doghouse for a week," said Luz from New York.
- It's Valentine's Day?
- Nearly 26 percent of respondents have either forgotten the holiday or choose not to celebrate.
- Joe from Indiana remembers his wife said "Not to worry about it. Then February 14th came around, and it was like that comment was never spoken." Be wary – nearly 13 percent of respondents have fallen into this trap before.
Using a Coupon on a Date
You don't need to break the bank to make Valentine's Day a success. More than 88 percent of respondents believe that using a coupon on a gift is appropriate, with nearly 60 percent indicating buying anything without a coupon is a major "don't". When it comes to the date itself, 88 percent believe it's thrifty, not tacky, to pull out a coupon. In addition, 95 percent believe that evidence of time and thoughtfulness spent on the gift is far more important than the price tag.
Valentine's Day Spending – Who is this holiday for, anyway?
While this holiday is traditionally for lovers, additional groups are making their way into the mix of spending surrounding the holiday. Significant others still have the biggest percent of spend at 55 percent, followed by children at 35 percent.
Gift Do's & Don'ts
Clearly, this holiday tops the list for most dangerous as far as relationships are concerned. However, respondents were clear on what would top their list this year. Here are some tips for making it out alive:
- Gift cards are golden: 23 percent of respondents said they want a gift card to their favorite store this year.
- Classic dinner and a movie: It's still the old standby with 23 percent of respondents indicating this is what they would like.
- Say no to vacuums: Less than 4 percent want a household appliance this year. While your significant other may have indicated the need for a new vacuum, toaster, etc., it's an area that can throw you into harm's way.
- Avoid status-quo: 38 percent of women think you'll get them flowers and chocolate, but only 11 percent indicated it's what they want this year.
Valentine's Day Doghouse was conducted through online distribution to ShopAtHome.com's 4.3 million Facebook fans, recording results from 515 respondents. The survey was conducted from January 16th-22nd, 2013.
For more information on ShopAtHome.com, please visit www.ShopAtHome.com.
Founded in 1986 by husband-and-wife team Marc and Claudia Braunstein, ShopAtHome.com is the web's largest provider of online coupons, Cash Back rewards and printable grocery and restaurant coupons. The only destination integrating the best discounts from coupons, deals and Cash Back, the site has evolved from its early roots as the 'Catalog of Catalogs'. Throughout this transformation, the company has kept the same goal – helping improve the shopping experience for millions of shoppers. As a true coupon powerhouse, ShopAtHome.com aims to provide the most savings to consumers whether they're shopping at the grocery store or at their favorite online retailer. For more information visit www.ShopAtHome.com.