Ted Allen to Host National Can-It-Forward Day on August 17 with Jarden Home Brands, Makers of Ball® Brand Home Canning Products Live, free webcast from Union Square Greenmarket in New York City to showcase ideas for fresh preserving, entertaining and DIY
NEW YORK, July 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Jarden Home Brands, makers of Ball® Brand home canning products, today announced its third annual National Can-It-Forward Day on Saturday, August 17, starring Food Network's Chopped host, Emmy and James Beard award-winning chef and cookbook author, Ted Allen. A day to celebrate fresh and local ingredients, National Can-It-Forward Day teaches the joys of fresh preserving with a live, free webcast featuring canning, crafting and entertaining demonstrations. This year, National Can-It-Forward Day will be broadcast live from 10AM to 2PM EST from the vibrant and bustling Union Square Greenmarket in New York City.
"Fresh preserving is one of the summer's hottest culinary trends with chefs from New York to Los Angeles canning their own pickles, jams, chutneys and more to enjoy and serve year-round," said Ted Allen, National Can-It-Forward Day celebrity host and author of In My Kitchen: 100 Recipes and Discoveries for Passionate Cooks. "I'm thrilled to be participating in National Can-It-Forward Day to show home cooks how easy it is to preserve your own foods to use in cooking and entertaining."
With sales of Ball brand canning jars up 31% year over year, it's clear the iconic glass mason jar is increasingly popular with consumers interested in preserving or using the jars in home decor, dining and entertaining. The recent launch of the limited-edition, vintage-inspired Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jar created a consumer frenzy with canning, design and crafting enthusiasts coveting the jars for preserving and DIY projects.
For consumers interested in learning to can, craft and more with the Ball brand mason jar, Can-It-Forward Day provides a number of opportunities to participate:
- A free, live webcast hosted at FreshPreserving.com and Facebook.com/BallCanning will feature a day of instructional fresh preserving, entertaining and crafting demonstrations starring Ted Allen on August 17 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM EST. Viewers will be able to ask questions and post comments in real time to be answered by canning experts.
- The webcast will be broadcast live from the Union Square Greenmarket in Manhattan. Those in the area are welcome to come by to learn how to fresh preserve at the market which will also include a Q&A with Chopped host Ted Allen. The Greenmarket is located at the North and West sides of Union Park.
- Participants can share photos, videos, questions and comments on the Ball brand home canning Facebook page, Facebook.com/BallCanning, where fresh preservers from across the country will connect on Can-It-Forward Day.
- All recipes and craft ideas from the webcast segments will be available for inspiration on the Ball brand home canning Pinterest page, Pinterest.com/BallCanning.
- Users can also Tweet along with the hashtag #canitforward.
- Consumers across the country are invited to host their own home canning parties on National Can-It-Forward Day to teach friends and family the joys of fresh preserving. Visit www.FreshPreserving.com for a Getting Started guide, home canning recipes and more.
In the coming weeks, Jarden Home Brands will announce the official event line-up and additional special guests for the webcast on its Ball brand home canning Facebook Page, Facebook.com/BallCanning.
About Jarden Corporation
Jarden Corporation is a leading provider of a diverse range of consumer products with a portfolio of over 100 trusted, quality brands sold globally. Jarden operates in three primary business segments through a number of well recognized brands, including: Outdoor Solutions: Abu Garcia®, Aero®, Berkley®, Campingaz® and Coleman®, ExOfficio®, Fenwick®, Gulp!®, Invicta®, K2®, Marker®, Marmot®, Mitchell®, Penn®, Rawlings®, Shakespeare®, Stearns®, Stren®, Trilene®, Volkl® and Zoot®; Consumer Solutions: Bionaire®, Breville®, Crock-Pot®, FoodSaver®, Health o meter®, Holmes®, Mr. Coffee®, Oster®, Patton®, Rival®, Seal-a-Meal®, Sunbeam®, VillaWare® and White Mountain®; and Branded Consumables: Ball®, Bee®, Bernardin®, Bicycle®, Billy Boy®, Crawford®, Diamond®, Dicon®, Fiona®, First Alert®, First Essentials®, Hoyle®, Kerr®, Lehigh®, Lifoam®, Lillo®, Loew Cornell®, Mapa®, NUK®, Pine Mountain®, Quickie®, Spontex® and Tigex®. Headquartered in Rye, N.Y., Jarden ranks #383 on the Fortune 500 and has over 25,000 employees worldwide. For further information about Jarden, please visit www.jarden.com.
©2013 Hearthmark, LLC dba Jarden Home Brands. All Rights Reserved.
Distributed by Hearthmark, LLC dba Jarden Home Brands, Daleville, IN 47334.
Hearthmark, LLC is a subsidiary of Jarden Corporation (NYSE: JAH).
Ball and Ball®, TMs Ball Corporation, used under license.
All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Jarden Home Brands