Bancolombia S.A. (NYSE: CIB; BVC: BCOLOMBIA, PFBCOLOM) Reports Consolidated Net Income of COP 350 Billion for the First Quarter of 2011 (COP 444 per Share - USD 0.95 per ADR), Which Represents an Increase of 3% Compared to the Same Quarter Last Year.
MEDELLIN, Colombia, April 29, 2011/PRNewswire/ -- Today, BANCOLOMBIA S.A. ("Bancolombia" or "the Bank") announced its earnings results for the first quarter of 2011.
For the quarter ended March 31, 2011 ("1Q11"), Bancolombia reported consolidated net income of COP 350 billion, or COP 444 per share – USD 0.95 per ADR, which represents a decrease of 18% as compared to the results for the quarter ended on December 31, 2010 ("4Q10") and an increase of 3% as compared to the results for the quarter ended on March 31, 2010 ("1Q10").
Bancolombia ended 1Q11 with COP 71,182 billion in assets, 5% higher than those at the end of 4Q10 and 17% greater than at the end 1Q10. At the same time, liabilities totaled COP 63,468 billion and increased 6% as compared to the figure presented in 4Q10 and 18% as compared to 1Q10(1).
- Net loans grew 4.7% during the quarter and 22.1% compared to 1Q10. This growth confirms the trend of sustained credit demand that started in the second quarter of 2010.
- Net interest income increased 3.9% during the quarter and 9.3% compared to 1Q10. These increases are the result of loan growth coupled with a funding strategy that allowed the Bank to reduce the cost of deposits during the quarter as a measure to defend the net interest margin, which ended the period at 5.9%
- Loan portfolio quality continues showing a good trend. Loan deterioration during 1Q11 was COP 139 billion, 51% lower than in 1Q10. Charge-offs were COP 74 billion, 55% lower than in 4Q10 and 46% lower than in 1Q10. Net provision charges totaled COP 80 billion.
- The balance sheet remains strong. Loan loss reserves represented 5% of total loans and 175% of past due loans at the end of 1Q11. The capital adequacy ratio ended the quarter at 14.2% (Tier 1 of 10.2%), a figure that is considerably higher than the 13.6% (Tier 1 de 10.8%) reported at the end of 1Q10.
- Solid liquidity position. The ratio of net loans to deposits (including borrowings from domestic development banks) was 100% at the end of 1Q11, and net investment securities totaled COP 10,832 billion, an increase of 25% compared to 4Q10 and of 26% compared to 1Q10.
Jaime A. Velasquez
Tel.: (574) 4041424
Tel.: (574) 4042199
Tel.: (574) 4041837
(1) This report corresponds to the consolidated financial statements of BANCOLOMBIA S.A. (“BANCOLOMBIA”) and its affiliates of which it owns, directly or indirectly more than 50% of the voting capital stock. These financial statements have been prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in Colombia and the regulations of Superintendencia Financiera de Colombia, collectively COL GAAP. BANCOLOMBIA maintains accounting records in Colombian pesos, referred to herein as “Ps.” or “COP”. Certain monetary amounts, percentages and other figures included in this report have been subject to rounding adjustments. There have been no changes to the Bank's principal accounting policies in the quarter ended March 31, 2011. The statements of income for the quarter ended March 31, 2011 are not necessarily indicative of the results for any other future interim period. For more information, please refer to the Bank's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which are available on the Commission's website at www.sec.gov.
CAUTIONARY NOTE REGARDING FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS: This release contains statements that may be considered forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the U.S. Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934. All forward-looking statements, whether made in this release or in future filings or press releases or orally, address matters that involve risks and uncertainties; consequently, there are or will be factors, including, among others, changes in general economic and business conditions, changes in currency exchange rates and interest rates, introduction of competing products by other companies, lack of acceptances of new products or services by our targeted customers, changes in business strategy and various others factors, that could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such statements. We do not intend, and do not assume any obligation, to update these forward-looking statements. Certain monetary amounts, percentages and other figures included in this report have been subject to rounding adjustments. Any reference to BANCOLOMBIA means the Bank together with its affiliates, unless otherwise specified.
Representative Market Rate April 1, 2011 $1,870.60 =US$ 1 Average Representative Market Rate for 1Q11: $ 1.878.08 =US$ 1
SOURCE Bancolombia, S.A.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.