Bankrate: Mortgage Rates Tick Higher

Dec 23, 2015, 07:30 ET from Bankrate, Inc.

NEW YORK, Dec. 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates moved slightly higher for a third consecutive week, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage now 4.12 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.22 discount and origination points.

The larger jumbo 30-year fixed held steady at 4.03 percent, but remains below the smaller conforming 30-year fixed mortgage. The average 15-year fixed mortgage inched lower to 3.33 percent. Adjustable mortgage rates were mostly higher, with the 5-year ARM rising to 3.44 percent and the 10-year ARM nosing higher to 3.87 percent.  

There was little movement in mortgage rates following a much anticipated interest rate hike by the Federal Reserve. With the Fed delivering exactly what was expected, and despite some volatile swings in the stock market, there wasn't much action in the government bond market, and no sharp moves in mortgage rates. Mortgage rates are closely related to yields on long-term government bonds.

At the current average 30-year fixed mortgage rate of 4.12 percent, the monthly payment for a $200,000 loan is $968.72.  

SURVEY RESULTS

30-year fixed: 4.12% -- up from 4.09% last week (avg. points: 0.22)
15-year fixed: 3.33% -- down from 3.34% last week (avg. points: 0.18)
5/1 ARM: 3.44% -- up from 3.42% last week (avg. points: 0.19)

Bankrate's national weekly mortgage survey is conducted each Wednesday from data provided by the top 10 banks and thrifts in 10 top markets.

For a full analysis of this week's move in mortgage rates, go to http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mortgages/mortgage-analysis-122315.aspx  

The survey is complemented by Bankrate's weekly Rate Trend Index, in which a panel of mortgage experts predicts which way the rates are headed over the next seven days. A majority of the panelists – 60 percent – expect mortgage rates will remain more or less unchanged in the next 7 days. The remaining 40 percent forecast continued increases. Interestingly, none of the respondents is predicting a decline in mortgage rates over the next week.

About Bankrate, Inc.

Bankrate is a leading publisher, aggregator, and distributor of personal finance content on the Internet. Bankrate provides consumers with proprietary, fully researched, comprehensive, independent and objective personal finance editorial content across multiple vertical categories including mortgages, deposits, insurance, credit cards, and other categories, such as retirement, automobile loans, and taxes. The Bankrate network includes Bankrate.com, CreditCards.com, InsuranceQuotes.com and Caring.com, our flagship websites, and other owned and operated personal finance websites, including Interest.com, Bankaholic.com, Mortgage-calc.com, CreditCardGuide.com, CarInsuranceQuotes.com, Insweb.com, CreditCards.ca, and NetQuote.com. Bankrate aggregates rate information from over 4,800 institutions on more than 300 financial products. With coverage of over 600 local markets, Bankrate generates rate tables in all 50 U.S. states. Bankrate develops and provides web services to over 100 co-branded websites with online partners, including some of the most trusted and frequently visited personal finance sites on the Internet such as Yahoo!, CNBC, and Bloomberg. In addition, Bankrate licenses editorial content to over 500 newspapers on a daily basis including The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, and The Boston Globe.

For more information contact:
Kayleen Yates
Senior Director, Corporate Communications
kyates@bankrate.com
(917) 368-8677          

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130805/FL58072LOGO

 

SOURCE Bankrate, Inc.



RELATED LINKS

http://www.bankrate.com